Daniels talks about his return to Irish

Apr 21, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

DaVaris Daniels, Ricardo Allen AP

Suspended wide receiver DaVaris Daniels has spent the semester away from the university and football program, after falling behind academically. Daniels found out the news on his way to the Pinstripe Bowl, a fitting ending to a challenging season that saw Daniels improve statistically, but battle injuries and inefficiency.

The Chicagoland native, and the Irish’s top returning receiver for 2014, already gave CBS Sports’ Jeremy Fowler an inside look at his life away from South Bend.

But the soon-to-be senior wide receiver also answered some email questions for Irish Turning Point, catching us up on his mindset, how refreshing it was seeing his teammates play in the Blue-Gold game, and what he learned these past few months.

Do yourself a favor and head over to Turning Point to read the whole thing, but here are three questions I found interesting:

Q – What have you learned about yourself over the last few months?

Daniels – “I’ve learned that the only thing in the way of me accomplishing my goals is me. If I can stay healthy and do the things necessary, there’s no reason why I can’t accomplish them.”

Q – Talk to us about your relationship with teammates. How might they be helping you with what you’re currently experiencing? Do you have plans to workout with them this spring/summer?

Daniels – “My teammates have been very supportive. They are just as excited for my return as I am. We all talk just about every day. We have tried to set up something this past winter but the weather didn’t cooperate. I know I will be training with a couple of them this summer at the place I’m training now.”

Q – How was the Spring Game from your eyes?

Daniels – “Watching the spring game was kind of a refreshing feeling. Got to see all my friends/teammates play, hear the crowd and be reminded of what I’m working so hard for since I don’t have the chance to see it every day and go through the grind with all of the guys.”

1. upthera44 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Sounds pretty committed. That video reminds how good of a wideout Daniels is. Other than some consistent/effort issues, he is the complete package.

• onward2victory - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM

DD is clearly the #1 receiver on this team and it’s not really close, although I think we all expect the ball to get spread out quite a bit. I bet if he has 1000 yards and 10 TDs, which I expect, he’ll jump to the NFL.

2. blackirish23 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Great video!! After watching the clip, I came to three conclusions;

1. When healthy, Daniels can be among the best in the country at his position, and I hope we get that from him this coming season.

2. Our O-Line did a terrific job of keeping Tommy’s jersey clean all season!!

3. If I were Tommy’s agent, I’d send this video to all 32 NFL GM’s;-) Good luck TR.

Go Irish!!

• jommy995 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

If I were Tommy’s agent, I’d be focused on the CFL, where he actually has a chance.

• danirish - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Tommy has actually been mentioned as having a good camp for the Bears. I could see Cutler, Jordan Palmer and Tommy Rees

• nudeman - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Just kill me now

• dickasman - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Then kill me right after. With the previous lovey dovey smith regime, yes I can see it but I don’t think this new regime is that desperate.

• papadec - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Better the Bears than the Giants.

• viktory2013 - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:52 AM

If the Bears are willing to PAY Rees to play quarterback, then they have reached a new level of insanity. Of course, Jay Cutler is just an older version of Rees with the same marginal talent so I guess anything goes.

Daniels was one the few standouts in the NC game and is very capable, but we’ve got a flock of athletic wide outs so he’s going to put in some work this season.

• 1notredamefan - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM

This post was very good to hear! Great head for the game and growing and learning every day. Pretty sick that the guy has left this great college better off than he entered and we still have avatars spewing disgust. Or maybe I’m still missing the immaturity que?..

3. danirish - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I wonder if that Purdue db still has nightmares of being stiff armed by Daniels?

• bernhtp - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Are you talking about Ricardo Allen? Daniels did a number on him but I remember Ricardo getting totally beaten up by Michael Floyd when he was younger.

4. fnc111 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM

dAvAris dAniels.

5. fnc111 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM

That’s what I want out of Davaris Monday through Friday.

6. fnc111 - Apr 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM

There is just no way Rees will make an NFL team. If Crist didn’t make a practice squad last year, then a guy like TR, who has zero potential at the next level isn’t either.

7. yaketyyacc - Apr 22, 2014 at 7:41 AM

it’s a joke about Rees in the NFL, right?

• nudeman - Apr 22, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I’m guessing not.
      At this point I’m convinced he’s going to haunt me/us the rest of my life, not just football but even showing up when I’m at weddings, funerals, and getting my tires rotated.

• mtflsmitty - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Could it be karma, Nude? You know, what you put out into the blogosphere comes back to you?

If I were you, I’d start getting used to the idea that the Bears will be picking up Ishaq in the 1st round in 2015.

• nudeman - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

LOFL

• papadec - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:07 PM

He will, no doubt in my mind, fumble a drink all over you at a wedding reception while serving drinks; and forget to attach lug nuts to your wheel when rotating those tires. Karma, nude, karma. There is also a good chance that he will appear to you on multiple Christmas Eves dragging sideline chains, some/multiple year(s) when you get to be my age. Our buddy dickas will blame it on bad drugs, booze & hookers.

• bernhtp - Apr 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Nude: I hope you don’t have a daughter that can get knocked up by Tommy. The grandkids would really haunt you. The good news is, if they follow true to form, you will be able to catch them as they run around the house.

8. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM

he’s not just going to show up at your funeral, he’ll give the eulogy. it’s going to take quite a while too, because he’s going to checking out of bad parts of the eulogy while up at the lectern.

• nudeman - Apr 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Priceless.
      And at the reception afterward I’m guessing he’ll serve turnovers?

• 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

or ducks…

• 1historian - Apr 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Why do you guys have such a woody about TR? For the life of me I cannot understand it.

If he does make the roster of an NFL team I will make note of it and call you out on it, at which point, – you being Notre Dame men – I would hope you and your confreres acknowledge it and congratulate him.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I have no problem with TR, nor a woody for him.

I liked him as a qb and I think he got a rough shake with the whole “assaulting a SBPD officer” nonsense. while he was at the helm, ND won lots of games and there was never any indication from him that he played with anything less than 100% effort. he’s a tribute to the phrases “gritty player” and “gym rat.”

he called tons of audibles and threw some wobbly passes. that’s all. i’d love it if he got a spot on the bears’ roster. he’s never going to have a canon like cutler, but then again, he’s never going to scowl and pout and piss me off like cutler either, so he’s got that going for him, which is nice. I would a bit surprised if he did, but I think it would be wonderful if TR made the cut and i’ll congratulate everyone, from BK to TR’s pop warner coach on down if he does.

there’s just nothing to talk about. NHL? bleh. recruiting? bleh. I almost started a rant about carlos Gomez and how I can’t wait for someone to throw a pitch right in his ear and shut him up, but with this being the easter season, that just seemed to be not a very easterly rant to have.

• papadec - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …………………………………..

• papadec - Apr 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM

That laughter was supposed to be right after 4horses eulogy post.

9. deaconjack - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Hey nude man I bet you meant laughing on the floor loudly. But maybe not.

10. ndfenian - Apr 22, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Well, come Fall it’s really high-time for Daniels to have that breakout year we’ve all been waiting for. He just seemed to disappear for long stretches last season.

11. jommy995 - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I’m very grateful we had Rees so that Hendrix didn’t hafta play much. But I don’t really feel very sorry for him. I just can’t. He got an opportunity to play at ND despite having less talent than my great aunt’s hairdresser. I do feel bad for those who booed him at the Purdue game because, despite the 100% complete naturalness of that response (or cringing, or crying out loud) any time he entered a game (or checked out of a play call), it is fair to have your devotion to ND questioned after booing your own team live and in person. Fortunately cursing at the tv screen is no such dishonorable act, so my loyalty remains unchallenged.

• papadec - Apr 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Hairdresser? I was wondering what Broadway Joe did after the Jets. I guess it was a natural progression after the pantyhose.

12. bernhtp - Apr 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM

This guy may be harsher on Tommy than Nude and me.

I hope that Tommy impresses the Bears and makes the team. He’s a smart kid who generally makes good decisions and quickly despite having speed and arm strength limitations. However, his downfall will probably come when they look at film and see that he has a couple of loose neurons. Every once in a while they jiggle into a certain position where he has that “I think I can outrun that cop” moment, which invariably results in a critical interception.

• nudeman - Apr 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Not sure who wrote that but it was a pretty good rant. And 100% accurate.
      To whoever said “he left ND in better shape than he found it”, get a grip. He was a college football player, a poor one. And he was arrested while he was there.

But revisionism is the true magic of Tommy Rees and his fans.
      Revisionism and hallucinations.
      “He checks us out of bad plays” (and then makes worse ones)
      “We’d have been 8-4 in 2012 without him” (we were consistently 8-4 with him)
      “He reminds me of Montana” (Nate)
      “He will one day coach ND” (never)
      “It’s Tommy’s team” (see above)
      “He might be the greatest ND man ever”

That last one was my favorite. Where does the line start with guys ahead of Rees? Maybe Alan Page. Became a State Supreme Court judge. And was never arrested while at ND. And after that, 2,959 other guys before we get to Rees.

• ndgoldandblue - Apr 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Ah revisionist history. Such a prevalent thing in sports. But you gotta’ admit, revisionist history is everywhere, and it tends to lean positively. This is especially true in politics. Very rarely is a sitting president all that popular. It’s funny, though, what happens when the guy leaves office. It doesn’t take long for the populace to change their opinion and reminisce about the good old days when so-and-so was president.

George W. Bush was incredibly unpopular during his second term, but much of that ill will has long vanished and many people view his time in office as a success. Bill Clinton was mired in controversy throughout both of his terms, but many Democrats believe him to be the best president since FDR. Many people don’t know this, but for a time, Reagan’s approval ratings had dipped below Carter’s, and many Republicans claim that the guy was the best president…ever.

My point is, if you think Tommy gets a lot of credit where it shouldn’t be given, that’s just natural. It’s our tendency to look more positively on public figures after their time has passed. After all, we all know that Washington never chopped down a frickin’ cherry tree.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I would agree with you about legacies and whether they are accurate and/or even fair.

presidents, like quarterbacks, get way more blame and criticism for the ultimate outcome than they deserve. the blame seems to fade over time, though the credit seems to stick. maybe we are just optimists by nature…I can’t say. however, every time I hear about bill clinton getting credited for with making people rich in the 90s (rather than the dot.com boom) it reaffirms this truth.

13. deaconjack - Apr 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Bernie
    Your comment was patently juvenile.

14. 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I ilke the reference to Alan Page. Just about the classiest guy around. His daughter played on ND’s women’s soccer team back in ’95 that won their first championship and that also had two future Olympian/World Cup players on it.

15. nudeman - Apr 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Ok. I’ll take the political bait.
    W strikes me as a good man. But he will never be remembered fondly as a POTUS. Just awful. Abdicated the throne to Cheney for the first 5-6 yrs and he’s just a bad guy.
    I’m a Dem but have never thought The Clint was a great Prez. Personal pecadillos aside, he’s middle of the pack.
    Just finished an 800 page book on DDE. Vastly underrated. Prob one of the greatest of the 20th century.

16. nudeman - Apr 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Greatest book I ever read: Catcher In The Rye
    Greatest movie I ever saw: Godfather
    Most overrated movie I ever saw (recent vintage): Gravity.
    Least favorite actor: Kevin Costner
    Movie babe I’d most like to “get to know”: Diane Lane
    Person I’d most like to see cremated alive: Any of the Kardashians
    All time favorite ND player: Joe Theismann
    Least favorite ND coach: Digger
    Favorite ND announcer: Van Patrick

• ndgoldandblue - Apr 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Catcher in the Rye…I hope it’s not because of the protagonist. Not to get on a rant, but what is everyone’s obsession with Holden Caulfield? So many actors cite Holden Caulfield as their inspiration for approaching a complicated character. The kid was cynical and lazy. It reminds me a little of No Country for Old Men. People seem to love the Anton Chigurh character, but why? The man has absolutely no redeeming value about him. Wow…I just totally veered off Irish football there. Things must be getting slow.

• 4horsemenrideagain - Apr 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

this is just the kind of discussion that will keep me from being in any way productive today. I sincerely thank you both for that.

I join nude in his like for ike. if for nothing else, and there is a great deal more about ike to like, his warning about the dangers of the military industrial complex was pretty damn prescient.

holden caulfied is interesting because he calls people “morons” though I’d guess he’s a popular character because to many he represents something that people can identify with; the feeling of going a little (or more) crazy and also not really giving a sh!t what others think.

17. irishspartan1 - Apr 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I think this is a kid that is going to be the “go-to” in the Irish offense. You look at his combination of size, speed, and strength, there is no one else that has that combination in the offense. I think the Irish are blessed with a bunch of weapons this year, but he seems like the guy that is going to have plays called specifically to get him the ball more than anyone else. I really like the prospect of having Robinson on the other side in red-zone situations along with two big strong tight ends. We didn’t really have a jump ball guy last year but I think Daniels can be Michael Flyod-esque in that regard. I really hope that kid gets his act in the classroom together. It sure looks like he is but not having him on the field would be a big hit. GO IRISH!!!!!