Hendrix, Kiel ready to move into starting roles

May 6, 2014, 2:54 PM EST

Andrew Hendrix Stanford

While only two quarterbacks remain on Brian Kelly’s scholarship depth chart, two departed signal-callers are on their way to taking over starting jobs at other programs. Last weekend, former Irish quarterback Andrew Hendrix capped off a strong spring with a nice performance for Chuck Martin’s Miami RedHawks.

Hendrix, who earned his degree from Notre Dame and will play out his eligibility in Oxford, completed 16 of 23 passes for 243 yards and a touchdown. The Cincinnati native returns to his home state and continues with his former Irish offensive coordinator, who was his typical self when asked if Hendrix was set to be named the starting quarterback.

“There’s no naming,” Martin said. “You spend five minutes out there and he’s clearly our No. 1 quarterback. Everyone knows it. For the public, you can name him if you want. But everybody on the team knows who the No. 1 quarterback is.”

Winning the starting job might not be the most enviable spot on the baron Miami roster. After finishing last season winless and hardly competitive, Martin is rebuilding the program from the foundation. And he’ll have three former Irish players to help him in this first season, with Lo Wood and Alex Welch joining Hendrix in Oxford.

After the spring scrimmage, Hendrix talked about the experience playing under Martin and how that should help expedite the rebuilding process.

“After two years of playing in this offense, I think I know the ins and outs,” Hendrix said. “And that’s helped me bring the other guys along. And when you have other veterans out here like myself,  Lo Wood, even Alex Welch, it really helps to break down the learning curve and get us where we want to be.”

Meanwhile, 45 minutes away another former Irish quarterback is ready for his star turn. Last month, Gunner Kiel supplied hope for the future of Cincinnati football when he completed 17 of 22 throws for 300 yards in the Bearcats spring game. Running Tommy Tuberville’s No. 1 offense in the first half, Kiel looked sharp as he stretched the field with some vertical throws.

After the offense received a public scolding from Tuberville, Kiel’s performance seemed to lock in his role as the team’s starter, though injured quarterback Munchie Legaux could be back and healthy before the start of the season.

After the game, Kiel had the sound of a guy that was ready to step into the role of starting quarterback.

“I want to play perfect every game,” Kiel said. “I came out here with a chip on my shoulder to get better and compete have fun and play fast because that’s what we are good at. So it was fun. I definitely enjoyed my time and I’m ready for the season to begin.”

If Irish fans are looking for a fun Saturday on the Irish’s off weekend in late September, tune in to Miami vs. Cincinnati, where Hendrix and Kiel will face-off at Paul Brown Stadium.

1. fnc111 - May 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Kiel has the worst luck. He’ll probably play at some point this season but Munchie will be the starter all year if he stays healthy. Will Kiel change his mind again haha?

2. Ted Wheeler - May 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Barren.

3. rossumnminor - May 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Kiel looks to be a classic example of falling through the cracks. His choice of cinci vs other high recruit quarterbacks like Coker to bama ans wittek probably to UT is the telling sign. pop corn in a bag, some pop some don’t.

4. bernhtp - May 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Hendrix is a Notre Dame grad and class act. I’m rooting for him to have a great final year in football before moving onto med school.

• onward2victory - May 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Agreed. I hope he tears it up at Miami and gets a shot at the NFL. I think he’s a good QB that just lost all confidence. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do with a green light and not having to worry about getting yanked. Seems that Martins comments are intentionally trying to build Hendrix’ confidence.

5. shaunodame - May 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I’m really happy for Alex Hendrix getting his shot, though as Keith stated that might not be such a blessing with the talent (or lack thereof) on the Miami team around him.

I’m still a little butter towards Gunner Kiel though. I cannot help but wonder what could have been had he waited two more months before deciding to transfer from ND. His outlook went from probable 3rd stringer to possible Starter in the blink of an eye. Everything is always clearer in hindsight, but man that was just some really terrible timing. Still wish him the best, as long as he never faces ND.

• shaunodame - May 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Butter = Bitter (damn iPhone)

• jerseyshorendfan1 - May 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Does Alex=Andrew?

• shaunodame - May 7, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Jesussssss. Is there a reset button for this entire comment haha?

• ndgoldandblue - May 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

A big part of me agrees with you. I’d like to think that Gunner would have been the man last year. But a bigger part of me thinks that Kelly would have yanked him after a quarter or a half of football so that he could reinsert his safety blanket, and Kiel would have wasted away on the bench anyway. I’m really looking forward to this year. What’s BK going to do if Everett has a rough game? Can’t go back to Tommy. He might actually have to put some faith in one of the two guys that he’s got. It’ll be interesting to see.

6. domerboyirish - May 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM

“I want to play perfect every game,”

It’s ‘perfectly’. Enjoy your Cincinnati education.

• heisenbyrg - May 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM

You’ve perfectly demonstrated your jackassery.

• 1historian - May 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I think you’re being a bit harsh on the lad, but that is a nice new word – is it yours?

Best of luck to both of them.

Shaun – if you’re a little butter toward Gunner Kiel and have been so careless as to expose it, it’s only a matter of time until dickie jumps on that one. My condolences. Personally I think we’re better off w/o him and i think that .

And Alex Welch – someone is having a bad spelling day!!

Keith – Watch out for that baron Miami roster.

Munchie Legaux – what a moniker!!

• domerboyirish - May 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Yeah. I probably deserved that. It was early. Pre-coffee. I was in a bad mood…

7. 1historian - May 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

My comment about Alex Welch – Entries for the duhhhh of the day are closed. The award is MINE.

• shaunodame - May 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I think we should all just wrap up the comments section on this article and move onto the ALEX Bars one lol

8. jimbasil - May 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM

One; I hope AH succeeds and proves Kelly should have given him his opportunity at ND.

As for Kiel, well, something more than his talent or lack of talent sent him away. I have a feeling Kelly’s closed mindedness when it comes to QB’s other than TR pushed him out.