Tax returns show Charlie Weis still earning big cash from Notre Dame

May 21, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Charlie Weis

Former athletic director Kevin White‘s 10-year contract extension is the gift that keeps on giving to former Irish head coach Charlie Weis. New federal tax documents show that Weis is still cashing seven-figure checks, with Notre Dame shelling out $2,054,774 over the last fiscal year.

The university is expected to pay Weis three more installments from his apparently guaranteed contract, bringing the grand total of this payout to roughly  $19 million, proof positive that while Dr. White may be one of the most admired administrators in college athletics, the current Duke AD certainly isn’t among the most shrewd.

Also raising eyebrows is the money Brian Kelly received during the same period, in a season where the Irish went to the BCS title game. Kelly’s earnings through Notre Dame came to $1,457,284. That number is likely just a portion of his total income, as head coaches are routinely paid through other entities, like apparel partners, media outlets and other external sources.

Of note, Kelly’s “bonus and incentive compensation” totaled $607,200. That makes sense considering he brought the Irish to the national championship and also managed to have the team ranked as the No. 1 school from certain academic measurements.

Other newsworthy numbers listed in the documents include athletic director Jack Swarbrick’s roughly $1.1 million paycheck. Mens basketball coach Mike Brey earned just over $1.5 million while Muffet McGraw earned just over $1.3 million as the head of the women’s basketball program.

As a private university, Notre Dame isn’t required to file the same paperwork as other public entities, keeping complete compensation structures rather difficult to uncover. But as a non-profit organization, the school files a tax return that includes information about the school’s highest paid employees, and former defensive coordinator Bob Diaco was on that list, earning $672,824 before taking the head coaching job at UConn.

1. notredameirish1980 - May 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Weis probably made extra ‘dough’ off the Krispy Kreme endorsement.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - May 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM

It actually wasn’t a cash payment, it was the cash equivalent of the brontosaurus burgers they delivered to his house. I, for one, don’t have any sour grapes because his decided schematic advantage was so worth it.

3. onward2victory - May 21, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Kinda crazy that Mike Brey makes more than Swarbrick. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Swarbrick is ND’s most important employee, even more so than BK. The way Jack has navigated the University, especially the FB program, through this rapidly-changing CFB landscape is impressive. If he’s not the best AD in the country, then I would like to know who is. Plus if Kelly goes to the NFL, I have confidence that Jack will be able to get another top tier coach to replace him.

4. fnc111 - May 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM

In a way he has earned it. Look at all the talent he brought in over the years. He couldn’t coach for dung, but certainly got the majority of guys to ND that have recently been drafted.

5. mediocrebob - May 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Good for Chuck. Guys gotta eat.

• nudeman - May 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Good one M-Bob

6. shaunodame - May 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Really guys?!? Fat jokes? Let’s us know when Kindergarden graduation happens.

I get it, no one likes Charlie. But have some respect.

• notredameirish1980 - May 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM

He he had some respect for himself he wouldn’t look like that.

• nudeman - May 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM

The sanctimonious crowd never takes a day off

• notredameirish1980 - May 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM

No. I have fought weight most of my adult life but made a conscious decision for my family to be around for a while. It takes discipline and devotion to keep in shape and keep the weight off, but it is worth it. How can you inspire young men to be the best and not do the same?

• ndgoldandblue - May 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, I’ll never defend the “feel sorry for me because I’m obese” crowd. I won’t ridicule or make fun of you (that’s just heartless), but I’ll never feel sorry for you. It’s not that difficult. I recommend the Insanity program. It’s 45 minutes per workout, which you can do at home, and you don’t need any equipment. On top of that, drink a lot of water and avoid the pastries for breakfast. Otherwise, I still eat normally (even pizza every now and then) and drink beer once a week.

• nudeman - May 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM

My comment about sanctimony was directed at shaunodame.
        CW has no one but himself to blame. He is the only guy I’ve ever seen go through that procedure and stay obese. No sympathy here

• ndgoldandblue - May 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Yeah, I know. I was agreeing with you.

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

i’m late to the discussion here, but fat comments about weis? come on now! is everyone that bored or lacking in creativity that instead of debating CW’s recruiting/scheming it’s come down to just insulting him? personal attacks, especially about appearance, are truly the last vestige of the scoundrel.

as for his contract, he took what he could get and no one forced ND to agree to it so what else is there to say? weis is supposed to feel guilty and put those checks into the poorbox? a little unrealistic.

• shaunodame - May 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Nailed it 4horsemen, couldn’t agree more with everything you said. There’s plenty of other fronts to attack Weis on. And not a single person on this board, or in the world for that matter, would not do exactly as Charlie did. If they say they wouldn’t take the checks they’re just lying to themselves.

7. nudeman - May 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Don’t know if CW likes to tip ‘em occasionally, but if so I’d bet this is his style

8. irishdog80 - May 21, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Remember the anonymous alum that helped fund discounted tickets for the ND students for the BCS Championship Game? I have wondered and speculated that Charlie Weis might have been that donor. He’s collecting double paychecks and as a former student/alum might have been so inclined. That said, I recognize it could be any of a number of a big donors…but it fits with Charlie.

• bernhtp - May 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM

There are any number of generous donors that are infinitely more likely than Charlie.

The most efficient way for Charlie to give would be to decline some of his huge payout. The tax return shows that doesn’t appear to be happening.

• irishdog80 - May 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Infinitely? Not taking the pay doesn’t seem Charlie’s style…somewhat obviously since he is taking it. Being generous with his extra cash from ND? I can see Charlie making that decision and one that is tied to ND Football both directly and indirectly. Charlie is a Jersey Guy that that came from a modest background. I can see him, with his money from ND, giving back to from whence he came.

• mcirish27 - May 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Agree with you irish dog – Charlie is a quality human being. Plus how many irish alums have that kind of cash laying around and would decide to use it in that way while remaining anonymous? A dozen? 20? My guess is its a pretty short list (albeit MUCH longer than most schools) so Bern, can’t agree that there are those who are INFINITELY more likely than a guy like CW.

• bernhtp - May 22, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Infinitely, yes. Let me say it another way: Charlie didn’t do it.

Never said that he isn’t a quality human being. But there was bitterness about the firing as shown by his distance from the university. This clearly affects the relationship. Hell, even old Gerry Faust shows up on occasion.

• nudeman - May 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM

From a distance, there is nothing I’ve seen in Charlie that makes me think for a second he’d do that. Yes, I know he’s actually a good man and has his charity.

But for him to spend millions on members (students) of an organization that just fired him … if you told me I could have 500 guesses who it was, CW would be #501.

• mcirish27 - May 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Of course Gerry Faust comes back. A few decent years at subpar Akron, and the wound was healed. Charlie has another job. At another University that plays major conference football. When his “Akron years” are complete, he’ll be around again.

But you’re probably right, it wasn’t Charlie but still…the logic for its potential exists.

• irishdog80 - May 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM

As noted earlier, I am just speculating that Charlie was the anonymous donor. Plus, the donor did not give the money to the university…he gave it to the students of ND. Yes, I recognize that ND gets some sort of cut from the tickets sold, but it seems like a sly way for an ND guy like Charlie to give back some of the money he gets without giving it to the administration he thinks did him wrong. I am sure Charlie harbors no grudges against the student body of ND.

• nudeman - May 22, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Whether he harbors a grudge or not … who knows? But wasn’t the student body kind of on his (ample) ass toward the end of his tenure? I doubt there’s any love lost there.

• irishdog80 - May 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Three years removed from his tenure, most students that had Weis as ND coach had left school by 2012. I agree, I’m most likely wrong, but Weis has been playing with ND’s house money since he left ND. I believe my thought is plausible if not accurate.

• bernhtp - May 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I don’t think there was any wound or bitterness with Gerry. The reason for the firing was obvious and Gerry seemed to accept it like a man, which is a bit different than Charlie. Charlie clearly harbors resentment, has largely distanced himself, and just took the money and, uh, ran.

• irishdog80 - May 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Gerry is a happy go lucky guy that was thrilled to get the chance to coach at ND. Think about what a story it would have been if he had succeeded. Faust’s issue was he thought the athletes he recruited were already good enough. He needed to be tougher about their development. He gave out popsicles after practices as rewards.

Weis’s treated the players like pros that would be responsible for their own development. Both he and Faust brought in decent recruiting classes that never fully reached their potential. A high school coach and a pro coach. Both needed a college job before ND…it’s a different game.

Time and money can heal a lot of wounds. Charlie may never be the goodwill ambassador that Faust has become, but I bet he comes around. Once you have the Fighting Irish in your blood, it’s their for good. If Weis was truly honest with himself, his struggles at Kansas should inform the reason he was let go at ND.

• irishdog80 - May 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Please add an edit button. there

9. blackirish23 - May 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Somehow not as nauseating as Ty Willingham being the highest paid ND employee for two years after being fired!

I like Charlie, and I think he did his best for ND. Just couldn’t recruit defensive players to save his life, and regardless of previous experience, ND is a tough gig for anyone’s first Head Coaching experience.

I wish him well.

• irishdog80 - May 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Charlie righted the ship a bit after Ty tried to run it into the ground. It’s funny that some people will say that Charlie won with Ty’s recruits…a partially true statement that is ultimately false. Oddly enough, he won largely due to Bob Davie’s recruits–the 4th and 5th year guys in 2005 and 2006. Ty’s recruiting delivered in 2007 with a 3-9 season…virtually no linemen on either sides of the ball in the Ty’s last two classes. Charlie tried and is a true ND guy from the ’70s.

I only begrudge him his “decided schematic advantage” comment. His brashness put a bullseye on ND.

10. nicenirish - May 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Charlie was in a poor situation. He came straight from the NFL and dealing with pro players players and never had a head coaching job at a university before. Much different. I don’t think there is anyone that believes the players on that team ever played up to their potential. He had players, he knew how to draw it up, he just couldn’t get them to focus.

I don’t blame him for the bad contract. I blame the umb dum that gave it to him. Hell. I wouldn’t mind him calling the plays. If we’re going to be paying him mine as well have him walk the sideline.

• nudeman - May 22, 2014 at 11:06 AM

If one or two guys don’t play up to their potential then that’s on them.
      If an entire team doesn’t, then …

• 1historian - May 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM

It was a desperation hire – ND thought they could get Urban Meyer and when they couldn’t they were desperate. To go from OC for a pro team to HC for the most storied program in college football is not recommended. Whoever hired him in the first place should also come in for some hate from you people too.

11. 1harrypairatesties - May 23, 2014 at 1:58 AM

So why doesn’t he get the gastro bypass surgery like Rex Ryan did if he’s got all this cash? Free Willy!

12. 1historian - May 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

You charliehaters don’t give up.

1) How about the clown who negotiated that 2nd contract (during the 2005 season) FOR ND? Who was that? How about some hate for him? (Or her)

2) How many of you out there would say “no thanks” to $2,000,000+?

3) If he does give to charity – why would he feel obliged to tell any of you?

4) How many of you haters know the guy?

5) Failing that – how many of you have talked to players whom he coached in college and in the NFL?

6) Fat jokes (from a distance and under the cloak of anonymity) – very classy.

CHANGE SUBJECT

Today is Friday May 23. We are now in double figures until the season starts – 98 and a wakeup!!

13. 4horsemenrideagain - May 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

boy, I never thought i’d feel the need to defend Charlie weis, his weight or his prognosis after his gastic bypass, but it’s the dead season so here it goes. he got canned, took the money he was entitled to take and went on with his life. how is that unexpected or somehow untoward?

since he hasn’t retired yet and since he’s still an active coach, how on earth could he cozy up to ND and be all warm and fuzzy about his tenure as coach, without looking like a buttkisser or just a buffoon? once he’s retired, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the rapport improve.

why hasn’t his gastric bypass turned him into brad pitt? who’s to say. he did lose 100 lbs, and seeing as he spent a couple years suing the surgeons for negligence, even though he lost the case it’s probably safe to say he wasn’t exactly thrilled with the outcome, from a medical perspective.

all in all, he had a decent run that ended badly. this description is as good as, or better than every coach to follow holtz, with davies and ty deserving of markedly less impressive descriptions as I see it. for one, the teams under weis, for certain stretches at least, played with swagger. they acted as if they’d been there before, even though they had not. they looked like they expected to win, which was a demeanor noticeably absent since holtz’s squads.

and i’ll say it again, people bagging on others for being fat probably also bag on people with speech impediments and other such conditions. really funny stuff indeed.

14. papajack1259 - May 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Check what it cost the undergraduate to go to the School of the Holy Grail! We are twisted ……. Pro sport has free labor while they laugh along with Charlie all the way to bank