Notre Dame readmits DaVaris Daniels and Jerian Grant

May 28, 2014, 12:56 PM EST

DaVaris Daniels, Ricardo Allen AP

The readmission process for Notre Dame athletes DaVaris Daniels and Jerian Grant has been completed. Both student-athletes will return to school and their teams for the summer semester.

When reached for an update, the university’s sports information department released the following statement:

“The University recently granted readmission to a group of individuals, and that group included student-athletes Jerian Grant and DaVaris Daniels. Both will return to Notre Dame beginning with summer school next month.”

While the move may have felt like a rubber stamp, it’s a huge gain for both athletic programs. While covering Mike Brey’s squad isn’t our focus here, a returning starter like Grant is a crucial piece to a team at a crossroads after a disappointing season in the ACC.

But for the Irish football team, Daniels is the only proven commodity in the Irish receiving depth chart. Back with the team for summer workouts, Daniels will return to the squad as the team’s No. 1 receiver, looking to build off a solid season where he caught 49 passes for 745 yards and seven touchdowns.

Brian Kelly has been supportive of Daniels, staying in contact with the receiver while he spent the spring semester back home in the Chicago suburbs. And while Kelly acknowledged Daniels’ raw talent, he also put a challenge to his rising senior receiver.

“He’s immensely talented,” Kelly said of Daniels two weeks ago at a charity outing. “He’s got to have his foot on the pedal all the time. If he does, he’s as good as anybody out there that I’ve coached. But there’s only so many times you can go to the whip… Sooner or later you gotta do it. I think this hopefully is that time where he goes, I gotta be cognizant of the fact I got a lot riding on this, I gotta be that guy every single day.”

Daniels has two seasons of eligibility remaining, though he is still on pace to graduate with his class next May.

1. jimbag1983 - May 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I am guessing that some issue may be taken with the “there’s only so many times you can go to the whip…” comment …

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. uncharacteristic blunder by BK on that one. usually he’s too measured to goof like that.

• ibleedirish - May 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Here we go again. Its only a blunder if you yourself, or the person speaking is a racist.

• ibleedirish - May 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Its the White Guy Race Police! Everybody check your racist overtones at the login screen! There’s an overly sensitive white guy in here fighting the good fight. He’s ready to bust you and prove how much he loves black people. Don’t try to argue, he’ll defeat you with his amazingly enlightened intellect. You’ve been warned!

• don74 - May 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM

When I heard the comment my only thought was a reference to horse racing. Every trainer and jockey uses the phrase. Kelly always uses sayings from other sports to make a football point.

I seriously doubt there’s been a football player whipped since Bear left A&M.

• dbldmr - May 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I’m with you don74. I’m so insensitive I never thought about any potential racial overtone. Oddly enough I thought of horse racing also. In fact I’ve used the same analogy when discussing the performance of some of our salespeople.

• ndgoldandblue - May 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Yeah, I’m with ibleedirish on this one. I didn’t even think about it until jim pointed it out. It sort of reminds me of a conversation I had with a colleague the other day. I asked him why Syracuse shortened their name from the Orangemen to the Orange. I asked him if it was similar to St. John’s changing their name from the Redmen to the Red Storm because of the derogatory nature of Redmen as a connotation for American Indians. He replied that the reason for the change was because of gender discrimination. To that, another colleague refuted the gender discrimination claim because the women’s teams were called the Orangewomen. To this, the first person said, “Well, they figured they had to drop ‘men’ and ‘women’ from the name because it probably offended somebody.”

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM

i’m not saying anyone taking issue with the coachspeak has a legitimate beef. I was agreeing with the observation that given the current climate (over-sensitive advocacy groups, publicity-hungry politicians and hack journalists) it’s all but a certainty that someone will jump on this, especially because it’s ND, whose critics love to depict as hypocritical and holier than thou.

BK is too savvy to get jammed up with and distracted by stupid fake controversies like this, which is why I was surprised he used the phrase at all, not because the phrase is racist. of course he’s entitled to say that without reprisal from race police, just like there’s nothing racist about using the term “niggardly.” if you don’t know the word, it has nothing to do with race. it means “stingy, miserly, or in a small amount.” but you don’t hear people using that word with any frequency either, because than you spend the next week of your life explaining that it’s not a racist term, when you can just say “stingy.” it’s the difference between wasting your time proving that you’re right, or spending your time doing something else productive instead, and if you think this isn’t something swarbrick has mentioned to BK since the comment was made, than you vastly underestimate the jobs of ND’s sports information, PR and AD Offices.

and i’m only “overly sensitive” in the sense that I like ray lamontagne, pinot noir and Julia Roberts movies. otherwise i’m pretty much appropriately sensitive.

• ibleedirish - May 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM

People will continue to cry wolf (racism) as long as there is an audience to validate their complaints when they make them. I won’t pander to them. In my view you shouldn’t either. But of course, that’s my view, and you have your own.

• onward2victory - May 29, 2014 at 4:43 AM

4horse, I also like Ray Lamontagne and Pinot Noir, but I prefer Rachel McAdams when it comes to chick flicks. Did we just become best friends?!?

• blackirish23 - May 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM

BK didn’t mean anything by it, and the only people who take offense to his comments are people looking for something, anything, to take offense to. At some point, a man’s history and character should count for something.

Short story – I happen to be playing golf with some 3 friends. I’m black, they’re all white. After any improbably good shot (of which there were very few), my buddy would take the last two syllables of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s last name and add it to the name of whomever made the shot. So if John Smith makes a great shot, he became Smith-a-nagger!! Hi-fives all around.

As you can guess, I eventually make a great shot, and he yells out my name and adds “a-nagger”!! Silence from everyone. I turn around laughing to give him the usual hi-five, and his face is red with embarrassment. He profusely apologizes, and I tell him to shrug it off, he’s being doing it all game and I’m no different. Of course, context is everything.

I eventually tell him what I said at the beginning of my comment, “I know you, and I know for a fact you didn’t mean anything by it. In the context, yes it looks bad, and if I was looking to be offended, I just might be, but I’m not, so end of discussion and let’s play some golf!”

People make mistakes (and I’m not even saying BK did). The mistakes only get amplified by people looking to make it a bigger deal than it really is.

Anyway, just my two cents.
        Welcome back to DD and Grant, and as always, Go Irish.

• nudeman - May 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM

This whole thread never needed to happen.
      I seriously doubt BK has a racist bone in his body.

You know what was the worst thing about the Donald Sterling mess?
      It was all the talking heads coming out and using it as an oppty to show how pure they are.
      “I am shocked, SHOCKED to find out there is racism in American sports. Why, I myself would NEVER say such a thing. I had a black friend in college. I live within 8 miles of an integrated community.”

F You.

All of MSNBC just killed themselves over it. I can’t watch FOX within 6 hours of eating, but I’m betting they were just as bad.

And there was Al Sharpton of Tawana Brawley fame jumping in front of every microphone and trying to impanel special discussion groups. And does anybody really believe that all the black players in the NBA never speak ill of whitey?

There was enough righteousness indignation spewed by broadcasters and athletes to fill a lifetime. The only guy who had the guts to be honest about his own failings was Cuban and of course he got killed for it.

Sterling is a jerk and should be booted.
      The Redskins should be allowed to keep their name.
      And everybody who spends every waking hour of every day looking for a racial slight … get a life.

• danirish - May 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Wow, double thumbs up.

• papadec - May 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM

nude – you’d win the bet. FOX was just as bad as the others.

• idratherbeinsouthbend - May 29, 2014 at 3:07 AM

That’s why there is only ONE source to get your news from…..Jon Stewart :)

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I think you missed the point. no one said BK was racist. I don’t think it was even suggested. I called it a “blunder” because is was a PR gaffe, not because I think the comment was meant to insult daniels or other black people.

the point was that BK’s statement would bring out the voices that most people here agree are the problem with race relations; those whose very livelihoods depend on it. these people are on TV, on the editorial boards of newspapers and magazines, and all over the interwebs. if all of the sudden tomorrow, all the different races suddenly held hands, sang kumbiyah and got along perfectly well, what would al sharpton and the others do for a living?

so the question is not “is BK racist?” or is the phrase “going to the whip” a racial slight or part of the “coded language” of racism that the race commentators always allege is used with the wink-wink to mean something racist. the question is why would someone with as much visibility as media acumen as BK make a statement that he knows can cause a firestorm, allowing the self-proclaimed race experts in their echo chamber to whip themselves up into a frenzy and ultimately create a distraction from recruiting and summer ball? and it’s not about pandering or righteous indignation. I think your ire in this regard is misplaced. it’s about a leader keeping his environment free from noise and focused on the goals for the future, which in the era of stupid twitter, facebook and the 24 news culture is orders of magnitude more difficult than when we had three t.v. stations and one newspaper delivered each day.

• nudeman - May 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM

4horse
        I wasn’t teeing off on you or the original poster who commented on the “whip” issue.
        At least I don’t think I was.

The idea that the “whip” comment was racist or a dog whistle of some sort never entered my mind when I read it. As someone else wrote, I took it as a horse racing metaphor.

We beat the hell out of this race issue a few months ago when I poked fun at GAIII’s father and it turned into one of the board’s worst moments with one idiot in particular leading the faux outrage charge, claiming he was half black and I was a terrible racist.

Anyway … speaking of Daniels, I’m glad he’s back. His attention span and work ethic have been issues for 3 years now and maybe this will be some sort of turning point. I’d also love to know that he’s put on another 10 lbs or so of muscle. Right now I’d say he’s a 2nd or 3rd round pick but he seems to have the talent to be a 1st round guy.

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM

nude,
        no sweat. I didn’t intend to drudge up the discussion of what/who is racist, though looking back through these comments I see I could have been more clear about the point I was trying to make.

they say the best stories are those about either revenge or redemption and I tend to agree. this season write both of those stories at once if EG and DD show that they grew up and got the most out of their life lessons, and if ND stomps UM, Pitt and Stanford. Beating FSU wouldn’t really be an instance of vengeance, but that would be nice all the same.

the stage is set for DD to have a monster year. solid supporting cast of receivers and other deep threats to keep defenses from overloading his side and bringing the safety over the top on him, solid running game that will require run support from opponents, and a mobile QB that can make all the throws, whether from the pocket or on the run. if DD doesn’t exceed his 2013 numbers it will be a disappointment.

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM

So BK had a dick asman moment big whoop. This makes both me and Obama happy. Me because we Gaines a quality player Obama because his affirmative action is still working.

Gooooo blackiriiiiisssshhhhh!

• blackirish23 - May 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM

You called? How may I help you:)

2. onward2victory - May 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Great news! Hope DD balls out this year and goes in the 1st couple rounds of the draft.

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Loooooooove me some Double D’s and I ain’t talkin bout no Devaris. Dam, I wish I hadn’t deleted that escorts phone number right bout now. Sucks to be an addict lemme tell ya.

3. iamgolden4life - May 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Such good news in such a bad time in my life, I’m so excited about our offensive this year. Our defense, well I think were in for a great surprise. Oh and does anyone have any of the players coming to the “irish invasion” this June.

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM

So golden tell us what’s going on? Why is it such a bad time in your life? Did somebody record you saying racist stuff illegally, again?

4. shaunodame - May 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM

its only fitting…

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Shaun, ya got any crack to go wit dat video?

• shaunodame - May 29, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Mase is a drug free alcohol free ordained Minister. So much for that whole drugs, sex and woman beating rappers stereotype, am I right?

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Y he’s a republican too I suppose right? Sure fooled me.

He prolly one of them “born again” democrats. Born again is code word for I’m a bad person just not willing to admit. Kinda like putting in red light n speed light cameras n saying it’s for safety. Did he fool me or did he fool you?

I see sizzurp soooon!

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Do you know stryper? Well they’re like this Christian rock band that fully participated in fingerblasting n penetration. They’re a Christian rock band though!

5. danirish - May 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM

COOL! Now play some ball! Golsen to Daniels all day! Lots of catches, lots of yards, and most importantly – lots of 6′s! (+1 – that’s you Brindza!)

GO IRISH!

• dickasman - May 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Dan, I just want to clarify when you say. “Play ball” you mean football right? Not the rainbowirishnation democrat unicorn type ball? I just want to make sure I am your V Stiviano or Conchita Gonzales or whatever her cheetah face name is.

6. goirishgo - May 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I thought the more interesting point was Kelly basically calling Daniels lazy. That young man had better find another gear or he’ll be sitting down this Fall. Additionally, the other players are sure to have read the quote and redoubled their efforts so as to not be the next player called out.

I like it.

7. 1historian - May 29, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I knew that the two had been readmitted and so i went straight to Keith’s blog to read the story because he usually as in almost always, does the story best.

Just for fun I decided to read the comments first.

The ‘R’ word in all its splendor. Sensitivity galore, yada yada yada. I’ll skip Keith’s piece.

Lucky me.

92 and a wakeup

8. 1historian - May 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

1 more thing – what is the NAACP gonna do about the award they ALREADY gave Sterling?

• nudeman - May 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I thought they pulled the plug on that?
      Anyway, this guy isn’t going away quietly and Adam Silver will have his hands full putting this fire out.

• 1historian - May 30, 2014 at 9:26 AM

As I understand they already gave him one a number of years ago, which is what i was referring to. The one they were planning to give him has obviously been rescinded, with red faces and whoops all around.

I’m not defending what the man said, but he did say it in a private conversation. The bimbo who recorded it and started this whole thing sounds like a piece of work.

• 4horsemenrideagain - May 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I would have loved to see the owners have to vote on whether to force the sale of the team. talk about a hobson’s choice for them; let sterling keep the team, look like a bunch of detached, indifferent billionaires and have the players go on strike, or force the sale and know that the precedent has been set for the next detached, indifferent billionaire to get caught on tape saying something objectionable.

my guess is that silver brokered the deal and insured that the sale price was inflated by a half billion or so which was enough dough to get sterling to slip quietly into obscurity.

• 1historian - May 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Once again – “I’m not defending what he said, but I will defend to the death his right to say it.”

A guy named Patrick Henry is rumored to have said that, or something to that effect. .

The PC explosion that has ensued from the public playing of a private conversation is nauseating. The NBA – TOTALLY predictably – has gone completely overboard on this.

• nudeman - May 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I will get killed for this, but the outrage over the Sterling matter has bothered me from the beginning. What he said was deplorable and in a league where the players are 80% black, something has to be done.

But you are exactly right: It was a private conversation. How many of us could withstand that type of scrutiny? How many in the media? Could Al Sharpton? Maddow? O’Reilly and Hannity? Answers are no no no no no.

I doubt there are any racists here, but we ALL have our prejudices to one degree or another. I’ve said things, usually in jest that if recorded and splattered across the cable networks would get me fired. They probably had no choice but to get rid of him but this is more nuanced than people think.

9. 1historian - May 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM

When it comes down to basics, this whole thing is about MONEY.

LOTS of money.