Barnett talks about decommitment

Jun 12, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

247Sports.com 247Sports.com

It’s been a whirlwind week for quarterback Blake Barnett. After being committed to Notre Dame since November, Barnett went from a key building block in the Irish recruiting class to a coveted quarterback back on the market. While many expected another quick commitment to Oregon, Barnett has decided to pump the brakes and take a look around.

While most of his comments have come in snippets, Barnett got together with former NFL quarterback Chris Simms to talk about the decision to walk away. The video, courtesy of Bleacher Report, takes Simms back to a familiar place, back when he was the No. 1 recruit in the country who walked away from his commitment to Phil Fulmer at Tennessee to head to Texas.

Credit Barnett for being candid about the thought process and not jumping back into things. With a list of schools as diverse as SEC programs Alabama, LSU and Georgia, and familiar Pac-12 spots like USC and Oregon, it’s pretty clear that South Bend is in the rearview mirror.

***

1. onward2victory - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Seems like he’s mainly focused on finding the best route to the NFL, which I can’t blame him for. If I was a top recruit, I would be trying to do everything I could to give me the best shot at the NFL as well.

But based on the academic mediocrity of his top schools, he doesn’t seem to care much about any sort of plan B if the NFL doesn’t work out. And secondly, wouldn’t he have just as good of a chance to get drafted playing for ND than any of those other schools? Is it just a depth chart issue? It seems we still don’t really know why he decommitted…

• bernhtp - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Given the geographical spread of the other schools, distance from a sick grandmother does not appear to be the issue. My guess is that all of the attention has gotten him focused on the NFL and the heavy academic load at Notre Dame would be a distraction/diversion.

BTW, that realization is what kept Vanderdoes out.

• nudeman - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Bern,
        I don’t doubt that for a moment but you appear to have some inside knowledge there.
        True?
        Anything else you can add to that?

• bernhtp - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Let’s just say that some recruits (including/especially their parents) believe that the university course requirements (e.g., foreign language, math) are negotiable, especially when a name is followed by many stars.

• dickasman - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Dudes, ND simply cannot compete w marijuana, ps 3 and pc and I ai t talkin bout no computer.

God bless him. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil, amen.

2. bernhtp - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

It’s interesting that Barnett mentions USC given they have a commitment from a 4+ star QB already. LSU also has a QB commitment, but not anyone that would stop recruiting Barnett.

3. ndrocks2 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Oregon, LSU, Alabama QB’s to the NFL who actually play on Sunday?? USC?? Whatever the reason he’s not coming better now than in January, plenty of time to recover. I did notice he said he committed too soon to ND and then said later it was important to commit quickly hoping to limit the recruiting class to one QB.

4. rcali - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM

As my dad always says, “follow the money.”

5. iamgolden4life - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Don’t we have anything better to talk about, I’m gonna tell you like this hear, we win some we lose sum. I’m more interested in spending time on here talking about things that matter. How did the Asmar Bilal visit go today? Are we going to lose out on Joshon Cornell? We shouldn’t spend so much time on something that was never ever ours, best of luck to you Blake, but I’m sure your replacement is just a phone call, or 19 days away. WeAreND

6. 25kgold - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Who cares. Bye!

7. njnapa - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:50 AM

I’m pretty done with dis guy, too.

8. 1historian - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Good luck kid.

9. johngaltisspeaking - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM

This kid is the perfect fit for Oregon. I said that day one when he committed to Notre Dame. The kid is from Corona which isn’t far from Orange County. I watched him play and this kid has it all. 4 stars my ass this kid is a 6 star QB prospect. He will be great one day in the NFL. Notre Dame is stacked with QB talent I am not worried in the least over losing him. But I do have to say this kind of talent comes along maybe once every 10 years.

10. danirish - Jun 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Good luck kid! May your dreams come true! If you play the Irish then I hope we crush you like I hope we crush any other team. If you are awesome and go to the NFL, this is one Bears fan that will cheer like mad for you.

As for that:

Next story!

GO IRISH!

11. ibleedirish - Jun 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Barnett? Meh, whatever. I just wish the video was longer so I could hear more about Chris Simms glory days! Puke

12. irishmob89 - Jun 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I saw this coming. We are stacked at quarterback as it is with Golson, Zaire, and Kizer. Not to mention we could now potentially get Travis Waller which would be huge. Waller looks very impressive. The only thing that shocked me was he chose Alabama. That was honestly the last place I thought he would go. Being a mobile quarterback and considering he runs a fast paced spread in high school, I would have bet money he was going to choose Oregon, especially since he compares himself to Marcus Mariota. It will ne interesting to see how he transitions to a pro-style system.

13. kapnd73 - Jun 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM

After Simms mentioned how understanding Coach Fulmer was when he received Simms’ de-commitment call, Barnett didn’t really answer Simms’ question about how his call to Coach Kelly went. Does anyone else wonder how Kelly responded?