Jun 12, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
It’s been a whirlwind week for quarterback Blake Barnett. After being committed to Notre Dame since November, Barnett went from a key building block in the Irish recruiting class to a coveted quarterback back on the market. While many expected another quick commitment to Oregon, Barnett has decided to pump the brakes and take a look around.
While most of his comments have come in snippets, Barnett got together with former NFL quarterback Chris Simms to talk about the decision to walk away. The video, courtesy of Bleacher Report, takes Simms back to a familiar place, back when he was the No. 1 recruit in the country who walked away from his commitment to Phil Fulmer at Tennessee to head to Texas.
Credit Barnett for being candid about the thought process and not jumping back into things. With a list of schools as diverse as SEC programs Alabama, LSU and Georgia, and familiar Pac-12 spots like USC and Oregon, it’s pretty clear that South Bend is in the rearview mirror.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (93)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)