Jun 12, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
It’s been a whirlwind week for quarterback Blake Barnett. After being committed to Notre Dame since November, Barnett went from a key building block in the Irish recruiting class to a coveted quarterback back on the market. While many expected another quick commitment to Oregon, Barnett has decided to pump the brakes and take a look around.
While most of his comments have come in snippets, Barnett got together with former NFL quarterback Chris Simms to talk about the decision to walk away. The video, courtesy of Bleacher Report, takes Simms back to a familiar place, back when he was the No. 1 recruit in the country who walked away from his commitment to Phil Fulmer at Tennessee to head to Texas.
Credit Barnett for being candid about the thought process and not jumping back into things. With a list of schools as diverse as SEC programs Alabama, LSU and Georgia, and familiar Pac-12 spots like USC and Oregon, it’s pretty clear that South Bend is in the rearview mirror.
- VanGorder finds perfect fit at Notre Dame 46
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Bye week 46
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Florida State 111
- Five things we learned: Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 159
- Pregame Six Pack: Showdown with the Seminoles 90
- And in that corner… The Florida State Seminoles 31