Irish continue recruiting run with DT Elijah Taylor

Jun 13, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

WCPO Cincinnati WCPO Cincinnati

Notre Dame accepted their third commitment in three days with Ohio defensive tackle Elijah Taylor. The Archbishop Moeller star chose the Irish over Ohio State, giving Brian Kelly one important recruiting victory in a cycle filled with many Irish-Buckeye battles.

Taylor is a 6-foot-3, 285-pounder who had offers from Florida State, Miami, Michigan State, Tennessee and others. He’s the closet thing to a two-gap nose guard that the Irish have recruited since Brian VanGorder took over the defense.

After wondering how important defensive tackles would be in the Irish defense after watching Brian Kelly and company be very selective with Louis Nix on the roster, Notre Dame has added a slew of interior players. In the past week, they added Brandon Tiassum and Micah Dew-Treadway. In the final month of last recruiting cycle, they added Daniel Cage and Pete Mokwuah. Any concerns that Notre Dame wouldn’t be hunting big bodies up front can officially be dismissed.

While there’s room for more versatility at the position now than in Bob Diaco’s scheme, it appears that Taylor is a run-stuffer that Bobby D would’ve loved as well.

Our friends at Irish Illustrated caught up with Archbishop Moeller head coach John Rodenberg, who told Steve Hare that Taylor is one of the strongest players he’s ever recruited.

“He’s very disciplined and he comes from a real good family,” Rodenberg said. “He’s college strong. We stop him on his deadlifts at 650 and he benches 405. He squats over 600. He’s college ready.”

Notre Dame recruited Taylor as a defensive tackle but he has some experience playing outside as well.

“We’re a college 4-3 (defensive alignment),” Rodenberg said. “He’s a 1-technique. He plays his position and does a great job. We mix him up between the 1 and the 3. (Notre Dame) is looking for a true defensive tackle. He’s a tackle. They had some guys that departed for the NFL and they had a need at defensive tackle and they went after him.”

While he’s got the heft to be able to play on the nose, Taylor himself said that the staff sees him as they do new defensive tackle Sheldon Day. Talking to Irish Sports Daily, Taylor mentioned that the staff sees him as a perfect three-technique.

Taylor’s commitment brings the Irish 2015 recruiting class to a dozen.

***

1. johngaltisspeaking - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM

This is a great pick up and I will go on record saying the star rating on this recruit and Nick Coleman are way off. Both of these are 92 93 rated 4 star players.

• nudeman - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM

You are way too focused on star rating.

First, they haven’t even started their senior year. Highly likely both will develop further physically and 12 months from now will be completely different specimens and players.

Second, Taylor was being pursued hard by tOSU. To me that is a good sign; more important than a friggin’ 4th star.

Lastly, if you still are starstruck, check back in about 6 – 8 months; both and Taylor in particular just might be 4 stars. Apparently he’s a monster in the weight room.

• johngaltisspeaking - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I am star struck by many things but not ratings on High SChool Football players.With that said you can’t deny that 5 star recruits are not huge news for any program. So yes Star power means everything..

• nudeman - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM

You had me until you used the word “everything”.

2. iamgolden4life - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I see it as imperative to having so much depth thus far on our front seven. Our chances to impress a recruit like Hilliard must have risen seeing all these big bodies that would be in front of him. It doesn’t hurt either that Elijah Taylor will also be recruiting him for us since they seem to be somewhat close(attend the same church), and in return if we land Hilliard we most likely get a 2 4 1 because Cornell & Hilliard have stated they want to play togather. This has been one of my favorite years following recruiting. Please no more talk about BB, I think everyone here is over Blake please let it go. WeAreND

3. ndsloth - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Let’s hope that all these players learn the meaning of “official” once they’re enrolled in college. ;) They’re not official until they sign in February!

4. njnapa - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Opposing centers are going to hate seeing Taylor on that ND DL. When he learns technique and to stay low, nobody will be pushing him around. I’d pay to see Taylor vs Hoge in practice for 4-5 years.

5. rocket1988 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Anybody else notice how ND is “big footing” Mich. St. with these commits? Msu has their best season in history and their offers fall by the wayside.

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Great point rocket. Love it. Payback for that Little Giants bull s.

• onward2victory - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Not a bad strategy to go after the same guys that MSU goes for. Sparty seems to take 3 stars all day long and coach them into a top 10 defense. Hopefully we can do the same!

6. yaketyyacc - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:20 AM

whether they are five four or three stars, stars are not only shining on Notre Dame, but committing
    to play for Notre Dame. When Irish eyes are smiling!

7. ndgoldandblue - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Two things I’d like to see before I leave this world: 1) Another Notre Dame football national championship (since I was 9 the last time it happened), or 2) The U.S. men’s team win a world cup. Will either happen? Which is more likely? I’m going to go out on a limb and say that if either teams’ current coaches can’t do it, then I don’t think anyone can (unless Urban or Nick decide that they want a challenge and come to coach at ND).

• papadec - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM

g&b – if for no other reason than frequency, it is more likely that we will see another ND NC before we see a USA Men’s WC title – even in your lifetime, which is probably going to be longer than mine (I’m already 71). It would be nice to see both before I check out. I don’t really expect to see the soccer guys get past this first round, this year. It would be great if they do!

• bernhtp - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM

There’s something ungodly about caring as much about soccer as Notre Dame football. After all, it’s a sport where it actually illegal to use the most coordinated parts of the body, no human-differentiating opposable thumbs in use, little scoring, etc. Just a bunch of guys running around looking like theropods.

• ndgoldandblue - Jun 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Never said I cared as much about soccer as I do ND football. I just said I’d like to see the guys win a WC before my time on Earth is done. That’s all. I’m not holding out hope, though. As for the Irish…I’m a little more hopeful. Emphasis on “little”.

• papadec - Jun 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM

bern – ditto g&b’s response – I’m pulling for the USA Men’s soccer team because they represent the USA. You do remember that it is “God – Country – Notre Dame” right? That being said – it’s still ND football #1 in my house (when it comes to sports). As for a ND NC – I expect to see one before the next Soccer WC rolls around. BTW – Happy Father’s Day to all.

• mattymill - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I hate when people use lol, indicating they actually ‘Laughed Out Loud’. But I just did as I read your post. Theropods!

8. viktory2013 - Jun 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Would have had it in ’12 had we played a college team instead of a ‘roided up pro level team. It’s especially annoying when you read stories like the current Ed O’ Bannon/UCLA saga going on now, where he freely admits he was “an athlete masquerading as a student”, having tutors taking his tests , etc. Then knuckleheads like Barnett decommit when they discover that won’t be the case at ND. And please no cynical, “it happens everywhere” remarks to make it seem acceptable. There shouldn’t be two sets of rules. If Alabama, Oregon, and these other clowns have no standards, then have them take out a franchise in the NFL so we needn’t pretend.

• papadec - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM

It isn’t going to change until the ncaa puts a stop to the recruiting violations, drug issues, other violations. With the money involved, the ncaa will ALWAYS look the other way – except for the token disciplinary actions & examples they set every now and then.

• onward2victory - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

The NCAA has way too much to manage. They’re expected to do much more than the have the resources to do. I would like to see major CFB and BB form a self regulating agency that they pay membership fees toward in order to clean up recruiting and academic standards. It’s a pipe dream I know, but I think it’s the best solution.

• jommy995 - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I don’t see nothing wrong
        With a little deer antler spray

• ndgoldandblue - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I agree. I read an article the other day in which a few of the big wigs in the NFL commissioner’s office expressed their desire for a legitimate minor league for football. I think that’s a perfect solution. If players can’t make the grade (or don’t even care about education), they can go directly to an NFL D-league and earn a paycheck right out of high school. It may devalue the product on the college field, but it would give the institutions who have more stringent academic standards a better chance to compete for national championships. No more football factories, just student-athletes.

9. fnc111 - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Excellent list of offers he has. A few guys that committed right before him had an awful list going. I’m all for the Nebraska-Wisconsin style of recruiting that Kelly is enacting now but let’s not take it to the Utah State level.

10. peddealer - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

USMT win the cup in 2018 and are runner up in 2022.. Sorry, everyone…

BTW

Univ of Texas….

Some of are fans suck and don’t act like real fans,
    F that…

I”ll bring it straight to you…

We might suck now, but the dynasty is beginning…

#TEXASSTRONG