It’s official: Notre Dame and Georgia to play in ’17, ’19

Jun 25, 2014, 3:33 PM EST

Missouri v Georgia Getty Images

With speculation ramping up earlier, both Georgia and Notre Dame made their two-game series official Wednesday, announcing the home-and-home series. The Irish and Bulldogs will meet on September 9, 2017 in South Bend before playing in Athens on September 21, 2019.

These will be the first two regular season meetings for the schools.

“As our football schedules evolved with the start of our Atlantic Coast Conference competition in 2014, we had future games slated with top-drawer opponents in virtually all the major conferences,” Notre Dame vice president/athletics director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement.

“One exception was the Southeastern Conference, so we are pleased now to be able to check that box. These will be two contests that will have great national appeal, in part because our only previous matchup came in a bowl game.”

That previous matchup was Georgia’s 17-10 victory in the 1981 Sugar Bowl, helping Georgia claim a national championship as freshman Herschel Walker carried the load for the Bulldogs.

Georgia released the news on their official website, with a video conversation from athletic director Greg McGarity.

“This series will generate an overwhelming level of excitement for our student-athletes and supporters,” said McGarity. “We have a tremendous amount of respect for Notre Dame and look forward to the start of this memorable experience.”

Added Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly, “These are two very attractive football games against a Georgia program that also has impressive history and tradition. Mark Richt has done an excellent job keeping that program at the forefront, both in the SEC and nationally,” said Irish coach Brian Kelly.”

1. sharptux44 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

This is great news for the program. It may help in recruiting the south. But for anyone planing on going to the game at Sanford stadium in 2019, use caution. The fans there are rabid! They bark at you, spit at you and talk trash to no end. Well, at least the food is good down there.

• danirish - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM

F you nudeman. Raised in the South and it is a great place.

• danirish - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Sorry, obviously my comment was supposed to go to nudeman. BUT, I will say that your “use caution” comment is unwarranted.

I grew up in the South and in Athens. It might be the center of the universe and the best town in the world.

If you are polite you will get polite back. Drunk college students may give you trouble but what student body doesn’t?

Now, if you are a Volunteer, Gator or any other puke Orange wearing punk – different story.

And the food in Athens is top notch!

2. nudeman - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I wish I was in DIxie, AWAY, AWAY
    Then again … who the hell wan’ts to be in Dixie? Not me. In fact, FU** Dixie

• danirish - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM

As a representative of “Dixie,” we gladly say – don’t come down if you don’t want to. I love the South and Athens in particular.

GO IRISH!

• mediocrebob - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Born and raised in the great state of Alabama. Can’t beat it (except for fall Saturdays in South Bend)

• papadec - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM

mediocreb – in 1968 (I think) the ND Glee Club performed @ Auburn – one of my Marine Corps buddies & I drove there for the performance. We partied with a bunch of guys from SAE, and crashed there, later that night. Whewwww – we had a helluva good time. Beautiful campus & a nice bunch of guys – treated us like brothers (even though we were “damn Yankees”.)

3. papadec - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM

nude – I was there for almost three years (1968-1970). The Georgia fans were a bit………… Well, there are some nice golf courses, and the bass fishing was good. Regarding the games – “Git er done!”

4. danirish - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM

As a UGA grad (93) and a life long Notre Dame fan this is very exciting even though my UGA grad wife said she wouldn’t talk to me in the Irish win – I will miss her conversations!

I cannot wait to see the Irish in Sanford Stadium, one of the coolest stadiums ever. I’m so happy!

I love that the Irish are making a trek south – I can see them live more and more!

I will say this once – Go Dawgs but will say this forever – GO IRISH!

5. goirishgo - Jun 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Could be mistaken but I think 2017′s non-ACC opponents now include Texas, MSU, Georgia, USC and Stanford. Respect all, fear none….bring ‘em on!

GO IRISH!!!

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Close…replace Texas with Temple and add Navy

Texas home and home is 2015-2016 and also 2019-2020

6. irishlad19 - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Spent six months in Athens in the ’60s, Naval Supply School. loved those UGA coeds, but their FB couldn’t play ND straight-up.

7. c4evr - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

For those of you giving UGA fans a hard time, it’s painfully clear you haven’t spent enough time around ‘Bama fans. Dawgs fans are alter boys in comparison.

8. yllibnosredna - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Gotta say I agree with DanIrish on this one. I’m from he South as well, but I’ve lived in Brighton, England, Manhattan, and now Dublin, Ireland. Am actually currently visiting my old stomping grounds in Charleston, SC. Speaking from experience, there is PLENTY WRONG with the South. The frequent absence of a progressive mindset is staggering at times. I always laughed my tits off at the late Bill Hicks’ spot-on characterizations of many Southerners. But you really can’t paint every Southerner or every Southern town/city with that brush. Places like New Orleans, Athens, Austin, Charleston, Savannah, and I’m sure various other locales in the South/Southeast have their appeal and charm. Hell, think of the art, artists, and performers that have hailed from below the Mason Dixon Line–Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Walker Percy, Truman Capote, Flannery O’Connor, Stephen Colbert, the Allman Bros, the entire f…ing genre of Blues music….In truth, there are MANY of those who scoff at the South but neglect to remind themselves that if you look at a current calendar, we are no longer in the Reconstruction Era. Times have changed and shallow stereotypes are washed away with closer examination.

• ndgoldandblue - Jun 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM

You may be right that times have changed and shallow stereotypes are getting washed away, but Mississippi is having a hard time changing that perception lately. Chris McDaniel’s comments about reparations and courting the African-American vote along with the many incidents that occur on campus (not to mention the state’s insistence to use the Confederate flag) make me wonder why anyone of color would want to go there. And don’t even get me started on Texas. I have cousins in the Lone Star State, and that self-righteous, holier-than-thou attitude hasn’t gone away. They’d secede from the U.S. tomorrow if it was feasible to do so.

• 1historian - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

your sentence – “The frequent absence of a progressive mindset is staggering at times.”

Could you define “progressive mindset.”

9. 1notredamefan - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM

The South fought a tough one back in the day! There back in it now with a few scrupulous figures at the helm but I promise this go around we’ll forget the railroad and take flight in order to kick ass once again! Love! Go IRISH!!!

10. 1notredamefan - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM

hmmmm my railroad reference had to do with Lincoln using It to win the war and turn the tide.. I guess my last comment was not seen as humorous and instead looked at in the same way most want to these simple days! History sucks but exists!

• nudeman - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Let it go. Bunch of millennial clowns here with zero historical perspective
      Wait ’til goat weighs in and starts telling apocryphal tales about (allegedly) his time at ND.

• danirish - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Awww, did a few folks disagree with you? So they are clowns? Must’ve forgot this is your board….

• domer77blowsgoats - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM

So almighty infallible Nude, please enlighten us all on your historical perspective of an event that happened 160+ years ago and how that has any bearing on the announcement of a home and home with UGA?

Your contribution of “FU** Dixie” is just brilliant – as is your ability to imbed pointless videos that no one cares about

And don’t worry about my time at ND, fully legit – based on your history on this board I couldn’t be happier that you aren’t a fellow alumn – jealousy is an ugly trait…

11. johngaltisspeaking - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM

I think its great that we have an SEC game on the schedule. Personally I would rather rotate Texas and Oklahoma every year.

12. stsimonsirishman - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Happy to see this match up things will be interesting in my household considering my wife and all our friends and neighbors are UGA grads and fans… I’m a lifelong Notre Dame fan, St Louis University grad, and a St Simons Island Georgia resident so I’m deep in Dawg country with a lot of Irish pride. I’ve been to both stadiums multiple times and the two fan bases will mix nicely with plenty of class.. Go Irish beat the Dawgs!!!

13. yaketyyacc - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM

well, hush my puppy, and get out the shredded bar b que, hickory smoked ribs, and sure enough u all, the fried chicken, and saturate them Fighting Irish with the mint julep of Southern Hospitality.
    It doesn’t have to include giving them the game, from what I hear, the Fighting Irish can handle that all by themselves. The Fighting Irish will change THE BULLDOG, into YOU AIN’T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG.

14. 1historian - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Domer77 – your 12:35 post – I initially misread it as “almighty INFLATABLE nude” instead of infallible and got a serious guffaw.

Thanks