The Notre Dame – Under Armour era begins

Jul 1, 2014, 10:58 AM EST

Jack Swarbrick,Kevin Plank AP

As the calendar turns to July, Notre Dame athletics has officially become the flagship program for Under Armour apparel. Notre Dame’s record-setting deal was announced in January, with the Irish’s previous relationship with Adidas ending on June 30.

That gave Under Armour and Notre Dame not much turn time to reimagine and re-outfit every Fighting Irish team on campus, not to mention get a catalog¬†ready with new t-shirts, polos and shorts for those fans that couldn’t be caught dead in the wrong brand.

(I actually think a lot of the new stuff looks pretty sharp.)

Gear distribution day begins on campus today for student-athletes attending summer semester. And as you’d expect, first looks have started to come on social media.

With the current UND.com home screen giving you the opportunity to shop for some new Irish swag, it’s safe to say that the¬†early returns have most people very happy with the look of the new apparel.

Here are a few interesting Tweets from the morning:

1. whodabigdog - Jul 1, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Went to ND last night for the midnight sale. Romeo was behind me in the checkout line. He is excited about his new cleats. $220 later I was very happy! Didnt see Fnc111 but it was raining and dark out so mommie probably made him stay in the basement. We will protect this house! Go Irish!

2. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 1, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I dont care if the players wear jocks or have pink underwear the bigger question is does all of this bling translate to wins ? If so then great everything looks Awesome… I think the fans who care this much about the clothing are the same fans lurking on Twitter stalking the players. And yes you know who you are !

• heartofgoldandblue - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Or……some fans are so passionate about Notre Dame that they get excited about anything Notre Dame. To generalize that fans who get excited about new uniforms or a new look somehow have a relation to stalking players is as ridiculous as your evaluation of the football program. You’re obviously a college football fan and seem to have at least a good foundation of knowledge of the sport and Notre Dame but when you’re negative 90% of the time, you lose credibility. To base everything on the star rating is simply naive…obviously there is typically a lot more value and talent in 5*s but to simply judge on stars is taking out factors like fit for system, development, ceiling, etc. Don’t get me wrong…I’ve scratched my head at a few of the commitments but it’s after watching highlights and looking at their competition. Hate to keep picking on Ishaq but he’s a perfect example…. 5* guy, physical specimen but played no competition in HS and didn’t pan out as a big contributor let alone a playmaker. And it gets tiring listening to all the comparisons to how Nick Saban does it and how he recruits. Saban will go down as one of the greatest coaches in college football history so it’s a little unrealistic to compare any coach to him. As to your comment on how ND didn’t belong in the NCG, you can make a case for a lot of teams not belonging. Auburn was a tipped ball away from losing to Georgia last year…did they deserve to get in? Yes because they won. Notre Dame’s season may have been very shaky but there’s something to be said for finding a way to win especially when you do it over and over again. There’s a small handful of great coaches out there and I believe that Kelly is potentially one. He’s got this year to prove it tome me at least…no excuses, he’s got his QB, he’s got his playmakers, he’s seemingly got the coaching staff.
      Go Irish! Just Win!

• nudeman - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I agree with pretty much all of this and will add:

1. I truly like Saban, think he has no time for the inane aspect of the media (When they returned that FG attempt 134 yards for a TD that ended your NC hopes, were you disapppointed”) and think he’s a good coach. Having said that …

2. Wouldn’t it be interesting to see what he’d do outside the SEC?
        Oh wait, ow many NCs did he win at MSU?

3. Kelly is a great PROGRAM BUILDER. I’m still not sure he’s a great coach. Too damn many weird game day decisions so far. This is the year he can quiet a lot of critics though.

4. Star system needs to be augmented by the Moon system.
        For example, if a 5 Star is so disappointing that if you ran into him at WalMart you’d moon him, he’d qualify. I’d moon Ishaq. Probably about a 3 Moon guy I’d say. I would NOT moon Jaylon oor Clausen. I suppose I’d reluctantly moon Dayne, though he seems to have been a hell of a good guy who got the shaft.

• 1historian - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

John – Ragnar and Francisco both told me to tell you – certainly this is not the best you can do. If you can invent that damn machine then you can do better than this.

Or did that elective you took at Patrick Henry lo these many years ago slip by unnoticed?

3. mtflsmitty - Jul 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Waller commits to Oregon.

Given three Elite11 QBs and 10 years of combined eligibility ahead of him, I suspect he was looking for a faster path to PT. Don’t blame him a bit.

I know three scholarship QBs are at least one fewer than most would be comfortable. But if we don’t take a QB this class I think we’ll be fine. ND would be fertile ground for a top-3 QB in 2016.

• iamgolden4life - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I agree 100%. I often wonder why people have nothing better to do than be negative. We should all be excited about our football team this season, I’ve never seen us have potentially three seasons in a row as a top 10 recruiting class (currently sit 8th) and I’m 30. People need to quit worry about these kids star ratings(Johnny Manziel) was a 3 star prospect. Our coaching staff is doing a great job with the evaluation of these kids, and the direction of the program. If we miss on Hilliard and Cornell so be it. Last I looked there’s like 7 months until NSD, and I suspect we could always make a run @ some big time recruits with a great season. WEAreND

• tedlinko - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I agree with this. Frankly, I was shocked when Barnett first committed, and so when he decommitted, it was hard to be too surprised.

I think it’s going to be very hard for us to land any elite QB this cycle. These top-tier guys don’t want to wait til their junior year for a chance to start. And when you are looking at 3 highly rated QBs, two of whom have yet to use a single year of eligibility, that’s a real possibility.

The best shot for another top tier QB is in 2016.

4. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

hmm I don’t agree with recruiting

• notredameirish1980 - Jul 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I am shocked, shocked I say, to learn that there is gambling going on here (or that about that response).

5. nudeman - Jul 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Sounds like Hilliard is tOSU bound

• kansasirish - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me but where did you get the update?

• mtflsmitty - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Yes. Where did u get that info?

6. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 1, 2014 at 8:42 PM

wow another unranked player. jeez this is not gonna end well at all

7. fnc111 - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM

You didn’t see me in Hamme’s because I was there two days before you were you douche bag. Did you get on your knees in CBK’s office too? I’d be more than willing to meet up with you and embarrass your fat ass athletically, anytime you want. I’m flattered you read my every word. I’ve never seen you around these parts until now.

• nudeman - Jul 1, 2014 at 11:15 PM

A new low for the board.
      Maybe it’s just me but I’m never very impressed by an anonymous guy hiding behind a screen name, cyberspace and possibly several hundred real miles away challenging another anonymous guy to a decathalon competition.

8. fnc111 - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:18 PM

john,

We all know whodabigdog is one of those weirdos that stalks 17-year olds on twitter.

9. mediocrebob - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Someone got under someone else’s skin…