Irish get commitment from WR Miles Boykin

Jul 2, 2014, 11:36 PM EST

Property of Sun-Times media Property of Sun-Times media

Notre Dame may have missed out on Jashon Cornell and Justin Hilliard on Wednesday, but they won the commitment of jumbo receiver Miles Boykin. The Illinois native chose Notre Dame over Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida and a slew of other offers.

At a shade over 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, Boykin is one of the most physically impressive receiving prospects in the recruiting cycle. Originally projected by some as a tight end, Boykin has spent the summer attending national camps and combines, on a mission to prove his ability to play out wide and not attached. He’s done that, dominating in drills and putting up a more than respectable 40-yard dash time.

For the Irish, Boykin is a perfect fit. They’ve had great success with big receivers and detached tight ends, making it fairly irrelevant what position Boykin is officially listed at on the roster, as he’ll play a role we’ve seen since Brian Kelly came to town.

When discussing his commitment, Boykin spoke with Irish Illustrated’s Jake Brown ($), telling him about his growing comfort level in South Bend.

“Really it just feels like home there,” Boykin told Irish Illustrated Wednesday. “When I took my overnight visit there I knew I wanted to be there. I had to just take one visit to Michigan State because they were really close behind to see if I felt the same way about Notre Dame. Then after that I just knew I wanted to be there.”

Boykin told Brown that he’ll start his career at the X receiver, learning the outside receiver spot before moving around.

He’s Notre Dame’s 17th commitment of the cycle, a class that might be able to grow with the news that Nile Sykes could be transferring out of South Bend after the summer session is over.

***

1. dickasman - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM

He’s got the Floyd size. Guys for what it’s worth, I myself committed to fighting irish before ending up w da Beavers. Ain’t recruiting fun!

• bernhtp - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:13 AM

I doubt you spent much time with the Beavers. Probably ended up holding onto that South Carolina team.

• smartestjones - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

OOOOOOHHHHH…Richard Asman got Bern’d!

• dickasman - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Worth doo, I’m a gay democrat n my bungholio burns constantly. Add more burn to the bungholio. HOTT!

• dickasman - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM

BTW, I didn’t get the South Carolina joke at all. Do explain.

• dillonbigred - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Go Cocks!!!

• iamgolden4life - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM

This is a kid we will be talking a lot about in the near future. Gotta love his speed along with size, by the time he arrives next year he will be a beast. A future weapon in our offense not only b/c of his catch radius and size/speed combo, but he will a major factor in our running game. Now with our 2015 class sitting pretty our coaching staff will spend their time on only premier players like 4 star(cb) John Reid, 5 star(d.e) Byron Cowart (taking an official visit in Oct and has already visited) five star (cb) Iman Marshall( has stated he fond of ND and will be taking an official visit), 4 star (d.e) Austin Bryant who attended the II, these are just a few and its a long time until NSD. WeAreND

2. tolan04 - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Notre dame starting to recruit big wideouts I like it.

3. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM

we are the recruiting that is for sure.

• onward2victory - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Are you French? What’s this “we” you speak of?

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Onwardtoaluckyseason – Look buddy you can dream all you want about ND making to a NC but I would rather look at the future of ND in a logical manner. I am sorry that you do not like my views of ND but someone has to speak the truth. Speaking of the truth didn’t Brian K already coach a team of 3 star players ? Yeah that was the bearcats who won the Big East and went on to get crushed by Florida. They also got hammered by Oklahoma. Interesting similarities can be seen if you don’t have your head buried up ND’s ass all day long.

4. FreQaZoiD - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:17 AM

That’s better. BTW, I love the A to Z articles about each player! Good thing you’re not at S yet. :-/

5. yaketyyacc - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:13 AM

Keith, I hope the Notre Dame offense moves as fast as you are pumping out one good article after another. Trying to play defense against you is wearing me out, and it is only the first quarter.
    Ok, we lost a couple, but Boykin sure provides an ample catalyst for an improving offense.
    the Irish are looking good.

6. grantland1924 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Keith, who on the current roster fits the Mardy Gilyard mold best (physical profile, usage in the offense)? Don’t think we’ve seen that type of player here yet during BK’s tenure. Fuller looks like he could be that guy.

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Mardy was one of kind player. He had ridiculous speed and knew how to run routes to a T. He was also a great kickoff returner. Having both of those assets is hard to find in players today. But to answer your question the only guy that comes close in my book is Davaris Daniels.

Brian K has a host of weapons on the field. Its all gonna come down to execution. If the offense can get out there read the plays and execute we can be very dangerous . However if we see the offense sputter, run the clock down , watch Golson look to the sidelines with a dear in the headlight look – FORGET IT !

7. bearcatirishfan - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Gilyard was a lot like fuller but taller I think in the 6’1″ range. He could flat out fly but also knew what to do after the catch. He was a tremendous kick returner as well. So the one thing I don’t know if we’ve seen from fuller is can he turn a 12 yard catch into a 30 yards gain. Not saying he can’t just have not seen it yet. I hope so if he can turn into Marty that’s one great weapon to have.

8. irishinmich - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Keith, didn’t you ban comments from people who have obscure literary references in their user names?

• danirish - Jul 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

John Galt lives!

Sorry, had too!

GO IRISH!

9. jbcoyle56 - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Is it me, or are more kids committing at these combines just to commit? He’s a good get, now just gotta get thru signing day.

If they kick Mahone out of school, would that give them another scholarship? What was supposed to be a small class could still land 20 solid recruits.

10. blackirish23 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Apparently the difference between calling yourself a WR or TE is worth 5 Million Dollars (in favor of WR). Better get that designation correct now before getting to the NFL.