FieldTurf installation nearly complete

Jul 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Stadium Surface

In case you haven’t been following along on social media, the installation of Notre Dame’s new synthetic surface is nearly complete.

With the team from FieldTurf working this week to lay down the playing field, the Irish will have a playable field to practice on when camp begins on August 4.

(Speaking of camp, while the news hasn’t been made official, Tim Prister at Irish Illustrated ($) reports that Brian Kelly will take his team to Culver Military Academy to open camp, going out of town for the second year in a row.)

Back to the playing field, the official Twitter handle for ND Football fired off this look at the installation on Wednesday morning.

While the initial grumbling from Jack Swarbrick’s announcement at during the Blue-Gold game was certainly heard, as expected, a new slew of folks made their opinions known on the subject.

And while I certainly didn’t have a vote in the decision, consider this one guy who is excited to see a game in Notre Dame Stadium that doesn’t feature the sloppy natural surface making a big play or tackle.

The interlocking Notre Dame logo and two shamrocks have yet to go on. Same with the 18 different end zone hashmarks. But with August just around the corner, the stadium is shaping up quite nicely.

1. jrcopper - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Why should we care if the stadium field is ready on Aug 4th? It was scheduled to be ready by the 15th when the announcement was made. I do not recall the team practicing in the stadium during fall camp anyway. The same field surface is on the LeBar practice fields and the indoor Loftus Sports Center.

I do not understand your comment leaving an impression that ND needs the Stadium field completed by the 4th of August. In any event I always enjoy your articles so keep up the good work. GO IRISH!!!

• iamgolden4life - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Is it possible that John & Dick are both residence of “Broke Back Mountain”?

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Sure, I’ll join but lest be ASSured that I’m not a democrat.

2. Keith Arnold - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Easy there, JR. One of the benefits of having a synthetic surface is the ability to practice in the stadium. My point was that it’ll be possible once ND actually opens up practice to do so.

Obviously with camp now going to Culver, it isn’t likely to be needed until at least later that week, but still, my point was that the field is being installed and the heavens haven’t even opened to stop the installation, as some suspected could happen.

• ndgoldandblue - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I think it’s a great thing that the Irish can practice in Notre Dame Stadium more often. I remember, during Kelly’s first year, he said that some of the players had that wide-eyed look when they practiced in the stadium. I’m sure they eventually got over it, but the problem still existed. Now, with field turf, they’ll be able to practice in the stadium more often without the fear of doing damage to the surface.

The other thing that bothered me was the fact that the Irish practice facilities were all field turf, but they were playing their games on grass. I never understood why they’d practice on one surface but play on another. That might explain all the slippage when the running backs would cut. Now, there won’t be that issue.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not some sales rep for FieldTurf. I still prefer grass. I just want to see the Irish succeed. If these steps help them do that, then I’m all for it.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Why are they having the camp at burger joint? Is it a fat camp?

• mikeevergreen - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM

DICK- Culver Academy, not Culver’s Butterbutt restaurant.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Mmmm Culvers butterbutt sounds yummy!

3. irishinmich - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I was one of those “nooooooooo” guys, when I heard the announcement. It was then I realized I was turning into to my father. He would gripe, groan, and complain about every modern advancement. My stance has softened. It was time. It makes sense. Will it translate to more points for the good guys? Well, I guess we’ll know the answer to that in a couple months.
    Can’t wait to see how everyone’s favorite poster somehow ties this into something about the SEC.

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Well sir I have already stated on another thread that we will soon have an SEC playing Surface…. Which mean our field and stadium now has some similarity to the SEC.. WHICH IS A GOOD THING ! Now we have to find a way to get the Geriatric fan base to start making some NOISE and we will soon be a full bonafide SEC Style Team…

• notredameirish1980 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

After being told to sit down at games more times than I care to remember, I will actually agree with John for once. Bring on the Jumbotron and let’s get a home field advantage.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Unfortunately, God doesn’t give you gimmes like the democrats do.

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Years past:

Going to games now almost feels like a funeral….

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Last time I went to a game I got in a verbal fight with a fan soon after getting kicked out of the stadium. The environment at ND is AWFUL…. It sure in hell isn’t like anything from the Holtz days.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I agree the ND games are pretty lame n sterile much like Manhattan Beach. I’d rather watch it on tv anyday. But good thing is they are all republicans. Although sometimes I do miss the drunken college slut dayz. But we gotta grow up right?

• papadec - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Why am I not surprised YOU got kicked out of the stadium & were involved in a verbal argument? (are there really any other kind jg?)

• bernhtp - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I’ve been to LOTS of ND football games and have only seen people ejected once. They were a couple of USC fans that were drunk, continually yelled profanities at everyone, jumped up and down on the bench in unison until it broke, and then threw the splintered pieces of wood around.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Good thing is that it ll make our white guys run faster. Bad thing is it ll make fast black guys on the other team run faster.

It all evens out in the end, you see.

• mikeevergreen - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I’ve heard so much BULL on how “Rockne’s turning over in his grave…” People forget that Rockne was also a chemistry professor who helped to develop synthetic rubber back in the 1920’s with ND’s chemistry staff. If he’d lived, he and ND’s staff would have been the first with plastic grass, and it would have been a whole lot better than AstroTurf.

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Hanging on to the past is counter productive. I have been saying that ND needs to reinvent itself and start taking the lead like they once did before electricity. Its time to push forward — Next up Jumbotron………

4. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Can you smoke Field Turf ? And if so will it get you high ?

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I wonder what it would be like to have sex on it? I’d hate to be the bottom on this one. Bad enough being poked in one direction I’d imagine this thing will be poking you from all over.

Sorry, No reverse cowgirl on the field turf boyzzzzzzz!

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

HA HA

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Yes and yes. This ND student did. Kids smoke/snort anything and everything today. Not me I only snort high quality cocaine which is no longer available in the market today. Pathetic. That’s why I quit.

• andy44teg - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I saw this today and thought maybe it was you, dickiedo…the guy looks to be in too good of shape though…his nose isn’t all caved in from years of snortin’ coke.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM

That’s hott! I don’t see nothing wrong. Who’s the lil jealous twat that knarked? I’m thinking of moving to manatee county as we speak! I hate sex on the beach. Reminds me of that one time I masterbated w 20 grit sandpaper in high school. It was ok but not the greatest.

Andy I got news for ya. I’m a young stud. I sometimes act old, mature n bland on here to “blend in” with the crowd.

• chaunce922 - Jul 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Am i the only one laughin at the comment about smoking grass and getting high having 4 up votes an 20 down makin it look like 420?

5. nudeman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

From another pic I saw, it looks like the field is light green/darker green in 5 yard increments.
    Not a fan of that at all.
    The word “garish” comes to mind. So does “vomit”.
    That field at Oregon or Oregon State looks like someone designed it with a very bad hangover.
    Like after a 6 day Jim Beam and tequila bender capped by a massive fight with the wife.

This isn’t the end of the world but put me down as someone who prefers the real stuff.
    And no one can tell me that ND, with the endowment of theirs couldn’t put in a beautiful natural grass field that would have withstood grad ceremonies.
    If that meant digging down, replacing all the drainage and sub surface, then I’d have had a suggestion for them: Dig down and replace all the drainage and sub surface.

• johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Wait until they add the ugly white slashes in the end Zone….. Someone had to be counting their millions using slashes to come up with that dumb idea. Just write Notre Dame with a leprechaun with a loaded ak-47 and be done with it.

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

The white slashes – wtf is THAT all about? An attempt to appease the old coots?
        ND’s way of saying to the octogenarians “we haven’t totally sold out” (repeated at increasing decibel levels three times, followed by hand signal to turn up the volume on their Cochlear implants)

Adds absolutely nothing.
        And the thing about all the slashes pointing toward the Basilica … wow, how cool.
        Wish I’d thought of that.

Just leave the end zones blank or put some good looking ND stuff in there – leprechaun, interlocking ND logo, silhouette of a past QB calling an audible …

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Guys, Obama just called and wants to know why the slashes can’t be black or brown. What do I tell him?

• nudeman - Jul 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I can just imagine the coaches talking to a kid in for a recruiting trip
      Coach: “And all those slashes point directly at the Basilica”
      Kid: “Balisica? That where you keep the 420?”

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Coach: Hellzzz yeahhhh sonnnnn! C’mon, les go blaze!

• keelio19 - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Nude, I know you’re not as much of an idiot as some on here, but the light to dark green contrast every 5 yards that you saw in a picture, that would be from the clouds above playing tricks on your eyes. Come on now, you’re better than that.

• nudeman - Jul 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I believe I said I saw another picture that showed this. Not the one on this article

• keelio19 - Jul 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM

As I said: ‘the light green contrast that you saw in “A” picture’. I never said the picture in this article, the picture that you and I both saw that I was referencing too was this one;

I’m sure that’s the same one you saw, but hey….I could be wrong? Doubtful though.

• keelio19 - Jul 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Ha-Ha!

6. dbldmr - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Hooray. I’ve watched football on that crappy surface for almost 50 years. This is a vast improvement.

7. newmexicoirish - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I’m about as conservative as they come – so I too was somewhat sceptical about the FieldTurf announcement. But it’s not like they’re installing Astro Turf, which was little more than glorified carpet. Injuries were numerous and serious – sometimes career ending. The technology in this area has come a very long way.
    I’ve seen too many plays over the last several years that went nowhere, or even lost yardage, because of the issues with the grass. We all have. When the playing surface begins to affect game outcomes it’s time to make a change. Fortunately we have much better game surfaces from which to select. I can’t wait to see our guys on this field!

8. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I dont know about you guys but any news is starting to get me pumped up….. I want to see Brian K unleash his pure Spread offense and take RICE apart along with Michigan. Nothing would make me more happy than to see ND beat Michigan by 20 + points.

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Pumped, unleashed, spread? You got me going now son!

9. rocket1988 - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I’m not surprised Ty Gaitd got kicked out of a game. The endzones as cliched as they are, are still ND Stadium tradition. They’re iconic like Tennessee’s checkerboard pattern or FSU’s h-shaped goalposts. It’s the simplest and traditional design that works best. Make people who don’t know that the grounds changed think its the best looking grass on the planet. When we hit the 175th birthday of the university throw that logo on the field like 1992.

• irishinmich - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Sorry to say, we will never get to see how the turf works out. I just “thumbed up” one of John’s comments. Which is no doubt the seventh sign of the world’s end.

10. rocket1988 - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM

@nude
    like Ron Powlus or Paul Failia?

• blackirish23 - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

My favorite Ron Powlus story….(keep in mind I was a kid from West Africa who attended high school in Brooklyn and had no comprehension of American Football).

Pick up basketball at “The Rock” at the beginning of my freshman year and we all go around introducing ourselves. This big dude shakes my hand, I tell him my name, he smiles and turn around. I ask him, “excuse me, what’s your name?”

The whole court goes quiet, he turns around with a look of incredulity on his face, “you don’t know who I am?”

“Uh, no.”

“I’m Ron Powlus, THE Quaterback.”

“What’s a quarterback?”, I asked innocently.

Everyone bursts out laughing, Ron comes over again and whispers in my ear, “you’ll find out on Saturday kid.”

After the pick-up game, he asks for my name and tells me to show up at the will call window. My first ND game as a student was sitting with Ron’s family and learning the game from his wife and dad.

11. johngaltisfelching - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Seriously fellas? Can someone find dickie dumbass a gerbil?

• dickasman - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Here I am(in Richard Gere voice )

12. papadec - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I’m glad the biggest thing anyone has to gripe about, regarding ND football, is this field change.

13. ndfaithful - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Grass, turf, I really don’t care. If I could choose, I’d pick grass. But the new field will become the new Irish home field. It will take exactly ONE very good season of 10 wins or more for it to ‘feel like home’. Once you have memories of an awesome play, or a last minute field goal against a top 10 team, it will feel good to see the sun, rain, or snow falling on the new field.

14. rpbags - Jul 24, 2014 at 2:55 AM

Have to say that I am excited about the field turf being installed because they have practiced on it for years and being able to practice in the stadium will be a great advantage for ND. This team looks like it can be a good one on paper but I think it just depends on how fast the defense can pull it together and I feel the offense should be able to score on anybody we play…Things are looking up at ND and I think this team can make it into the playoff this year….As always just my opinion and as always….GO IRISH GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The interlocking Nd on the field looks silly…. It looks like an old school patch that you would sew on a jacket. Goober style.. Yuck

16. johngaltisspeaking - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

The other thing couldn’t they come up with a better slogan than WE ARE ND… Everytime I hear that it reminds me of this video.

17. irishlad19 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM

The Stadium field condition in late fall games in recent years was bush league–ND is better than that.