Jul 28, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Notre Dame’s inexperienced tight end depth chart has taken a hit. A report by Chris Hine of the Chicago Tribune revealed that sophomore tight end Mike Heuerman is working his way back from hernia surgery and won’t be ready for the start of fall camp.
Hine was cover the Big Ten Media Days in Chicago when Heuerman’s brother Jeff, Ohio State’s tight end, revealed the news.
“He’s working to get back,” Jeff Heuerman told Hine.
Heuerman’s injury leaves the tight end position to senior Ben Koyack and now only features Durham Smythe as a returning player, with Smythe and Heuerman both redshirting in 2013. Newcomers Tyler Luatua and Nic Weishar are set to begin their career next week as well.
Hine’s request for an update on Heuerman’s recovery timetable went unanswered. Notre Dame opens fall camp next Monday at Culver Military Academy.
- VanGorder finds perfect fit at Notre Dame 34
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Bye week 45
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Florida State 111
- Five things we learned: Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 159
- Pregame Six Pack: Showdown with the Seminoles 90
- And in that corner… The Florida State Seminoles 31