Aug 4, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
With training camp upon us, it’s time to begin another yearly tradition: Our annual look at the Top 25 players on Notre Dame’s roster.
Entering Brian Kelly’s fifth season, this exercise confirms a lot of what Kelly himself has already said about this team — it may be short on star power, but it’s the deepest roster he’s fielded.
For the first time ever, over 40 players received at least one vote inside the Top 25. Consensus was not all that easy to find. Of our nine panelists, only 12 players made it on every ballot, giving you a pretty good idea that this exercise was a bit harder this year than in seasons past.
If you’re looking for a datapoint that things in South Bend are on the rise, wait as the Top 25 is revealed throughout the week. Only six players who made our 2014 list are in their final season of eligibility, pointing to some very good things to come in 2015.
A special thanks to our panel for taking the time to put together their rankings. Here is our 2014 selection committee:
Pete Sampson, Irish Illustrated (@NDatRivals)
Tyler James, South Bend Tribune (@TJamesNDI)
Chris Hine, Chicago Tribune (@ChristopherHine)
Team OFD, One Foot Down (@OneFootDown)
Ryan Ritter, Her Loyal Sons (@HLS_NDTex)
JJ Stankevitz, CSN Chicago (@JJStankevitz)
John Walters, Medium Happy (@JDubs88)
John Vannie, ND Nation
Keith Arnold, NBC Sports (@KeithArnold)
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 0
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 104
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172