Aug 9, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
Sophomore wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin tear, Brian Kelly announced after practice on Saturday.
Hunter was not in uniform at Saturday’s practice and will begin therapy on an injury that will delay the young receiver’s debut a little bit longer. After redshirting as a freshman as he recovered from a leg break suffered at the Army All-American Bowl, Hunter impressed the Irish coaching staff during bowl practices last December.
Hunter is in a crowded mix for playing time at wide receiver, capable of playing both inside and out. He’ll undergo PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy to try and accelerate the healing, before returning sometime in September.
Linebacker Ben Councell and left guard Matt Hegarty also missed Saturday’s practice after suffering concussions, Kelly said. They are expected back with plenty of time to recover before opening the season against Rice on August 30.
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 71
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94
- And in that corner… The Louisville Cardinal 52
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Northwestern 100
- Five things we learned: Northwestern 43, Notre Dame 40 233