Aug 9, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Sophomore wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin tear, Brian Kelly announced after practice on Saturday.
Hunter was not in uniform at Saturday’s practice and will begin therapy on an injury that will delay the young receiver’s debut a little bit longer. After redshirting as a freshman as he recovered from a leg break suffered at the Army All-American Bowl, Hunter impressed the Irish coaching staff during bowl practices last December.
Hunter is in a crowded mix for playing time at wide receiver, capable of playing both inside and out. He’ll undergo PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy to try and accelerate the healing, before returning sometime in September.
Linebacker Ben Councell and left guard Matt Hegarty also missed Saturday’s practice after suffering concussions, Kelly said. They are expected back with plenty of time to recover before opening the season against Rice on August 30.
- It’s still way too early, but Notre Dame’s path is open to CFB Playoff 128
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Purdue 61
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 30, Purdue 14 81
- Pregame Six Pack: An all Hoosiers Shamrock Series 39
- And in that corner… The Purdue Boilermakers 41
- Even after shutout, Irish hope best is yet to come for young D 69