Aug 9, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Sophomore wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin tear, Brian Kelly announced after practice on Saturday.
Hunter was not in uniform at Saturday’s practice and will begin therapy on an injury that will delay the young receiver’s debut a little bit longer. After redshirting as a freshman as he recovered from a leg break suffered at the Army All-American Bowl, Hunter impressed the Irish coaching staff during bowl practices last December.
Hunter is in a crowded mix for playing time at wide receiver, capable of playing both inside and out. He’ll undergo PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy to try and accelerate the healing, before returning sometime in September.
Linebacker Ben Councell and left guard Matt Hegarty also missed Saturday’s practice after suffering concussions, Kelly said. They are expected back with plenty of time to recover before opening the season against Rice on August 30.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12