Aug 9, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Sophomore wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin tear, Brian Kelly announced after practice on Saturday.
Hunter was not in uniform at Saturday’s practice and will begin therapy on an injury that will delay the young receiver’s debut a little bit longer. After redshirting as a freshman as he recovered from a leg break suffered at the Army All-American Bowl, Hunter impressed the Irish coaching staff during bowl practices last December.
Hunter is in a crowded mix for playing time at wide receiver, capable of playing both inside and out. He’ll undergo PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy to try and accelerate the healing, before returning sometime in September.
Linebacker Ben Councell and left guard Matt Hegarty also missed Saturday’s practice after suffering concussions, Kelly said. They are expected back with plenty of time to recover before opening the season against Rice on August 30.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172