Aug 9, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Sophomore wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin tear, Brian Kelly announced after practice on Saturday.
Hunter was not in uniform at Saturday’s practice and will begin therapy on an injury that will delay the young receiver’s debut a little bit longer. After redshirting as a freshman as he recovered from a leg break suffered at the Army All-American Bowl, Hunter impressed the Irish coaching staff during bowl practices last December.
Hunter is in a crowded mix for playing time at wide receiver, capable of playing both inside and out. He’ll undergo PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy to try and accelerate the healing, before returning sometime in September.
Linebacker Ben Councell and left guard Matt Hegarty also missed Saturday’s practice after suffering concussions, Kelly said. They are expected back with plenty of time to recover before opening the season against Rice on August 30.
- Running back Tony Jones Jr. commits to Irish 36
- Irish open spring: Five quick updates from BK 44
- Tracking fifth-year spots and the bumpy road to 85 scholarships 41
- Great on paper, rebuilt staff needs to hit the ground running 15
- Matt Hegarty will transfer for fifth year 31
- Spring solutions: Offensive Line 64