Aug 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
As rumors swirl out of control, multiple reports have Notre Dame suspending four players for the season as the result of an academic probe.
Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports became the first mainstream college football reporter to make the call. Yahoo Sports also reports that an academic fraud and Honor Code investigation is currently in progress on campus. ESPN’s Joe Schad confirmed Feldman’s report.
An earlier Tweet from Reddit’s College Football handle named KeiVarae Russell, Ishaq Williams, DaVaris Daniels and Kendall Moore as the four players suspended. They also tweeted that all the wins from the 2012 season would be vacated, leading many to believe that the violations happened at least two years ago. Earlier in fall camp, head coach Brian Kelly said all of his players were in good standing academically.
Neither Fox Sports’ nor Yahoo’s report named names. Numerous attempts to contact Notre Dame have gone unanswered, though multiple sources close to the situation indicate that official word will be coming sooner than later Friday.
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 68
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12
- In a time of change, Denbrock a constant 35