Aug 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
As rumors swirl out of control, multiple reports have Notre Dame suspending four players for the season as the result of an academic probe.
Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports became the first mainstream college football reporter to make the call. Yahoo Sports also reports that an academic fraud and Honor Code investigation is currently in progress on campus. ESPN’s Joe Schad confirmed Feldman’s report.
An earlier Tweet from Reddit’s College Football handle named KeiVarae Russell, Ishaq Williams, DaVaris Daniels and Kendall Moore as the four players suspended. They also tweeted that all the wins from the 2012 season would be vacated, leading many to believe that the violations happened at least two years ago. Earlier in fall camp, head coach Brian Kelly said all of his players were in good standing academically.
Neither Fox Sports’ nor Yahoo’s report named names. Numerous attempts to contact Notre Dame have gone unanswered, though multiple sources close to the situation indicate that official word will be coming sooner than later Friday.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 23
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 102
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18