Kelly addresses academic investigation

Aug 16, 2014, 2:53 PM EST

Brian Kelly Brian Kelly

Life goes on for Notre Dame’s football team, as the Irish practiced inside Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday morning. After practice, Brian Kelly addressed the assembled media, talking for over 20 minutes, primarily about the suspensions of DaVaris Daniels, Kendall Moore, KeiVarae Russell and Ishaq Williams and the internal investigation taking place.

While the scope of the investigation isn’t limited to athletes, Kelly was told that the four player being held out are the only ones under investigation. He also sounded like a coach who understood the ramifications of what was going on.

“We hold our players to a very high standard here at Notre Dame,” Kelly said. “I believe Notre Dame to be vigilant on that end. We don’t say one thing and do the other. I’m proud of Notre Dame and the way that they act. We don’t look the other way.”

The athletes will be held out of practice and all meetings, though they have access to the facilities and team meals. With no timeline for this Honor Code investigation, Kelly is forced to keep the program moving forward.

“I care for those four guys deeply, Kelly said. “They’re a part of our program, but I have a job to do and I have another hundred players I have to be concerned with. My focus and attention is on continuing to develop our players.”

Kelly addressed some timely questions, while acknowledging that he was shocked and disappointed when athletic director Jack Swarbrick told him about the investigation. He also doubled-down on the players he’s recruited, and will continue to recruit.

“I think we’ve brought in the right young men. I think we have to continue to do a better job educating them,” Kelly said. “We have to do a better job of providing them the resources. Look, this is never a one-sided issue. We have to internally look at providing our student-athletes all the resources necessary, that if in fact they took shortcuts that they don’t. And we have to look hard at that. That’s something that will ensue over this issue.”

For the second straight season, an academic issue has threatened a season before it’s had a chance to begin. And as some in the college football world openly question if Notre Dame is really any different than the other schools playing the same sport, Kelly didn’t sound like a coach with a crisis in confidence.

“One of the reasons why I wanted to come here was there were some core values as one of the preeminent Catholic institutions that you can’t compromise on, and that’s integrity,” Kelly said. “If you see something if going on that’s not right … it’s important that it’s addressed. I applaud the university for doing that. Along the way, I lost a starting quarterback and some key players, but I came here because I wanted to be associated with a university that had those standards.”

(Quotes provided by Chris Hine of the Chicago Tribune.)

131 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. fnc111 - Aug 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Kylie Fitts is a nice addition. He’ll be a stud in 2015.

2. 1notredamefan - Aug 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

c4evr asked a question earlier in his response to my comment… Start It at 42:10, It takes something.. someone.. to see what this bit is about..

“There Is no destination when developing ‘young men’ It’s a constant journey” [45:06-45:44]
    You have to see it to be apart! Say what ya think really! Don’t be that troll we expect!

• c4evr - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Interesting… Kelly and the video say all the right things about what Notre Dame means and how these kids grasp the tradition and how they are committed to the grind in the training and class rooms. Yet, as in ‘A Few Good Men’, you can’t have it both ways – you can’t out of one side of your mouth say boys will be boys and out of the other say ND is above the fray because of tradition/admission standards/academic excellence/etc. either BK has a hold on the situation or be doesn’t. And the video is very telling… BK is admonishing the kids that someone has to step up, someone has to be a leader. He’s practically pleading with them for someone to take the reins. Lou Holtz had a great line, ‘Motivating kids is easy, you get rid if the ones that aren’t motivated’. He doesn’t sound like the kind if guy that would inspire the best out of his kids. I guess we’ll find out soon enough – this season is totally on him. He has no one to blame if they underperform. Every kid that has transferred, been suspended, arrested, or otherwise punished was bought in by Kelly.

3. almoose - Aug 18, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I respect the comments made and the frustration. Many ideas on what to do. Hope the kids are cleared. It seems the Teachers are quick to pounce. OK just more frustration on my part and rambling won’t help. The Dean came on TV yesterday and said integrity is the whole thing the University intends to foster. Signal no changes will be made. Kelly is hamstrung. I so wanted to start the season as you did without distraction and every announcer saying this is the kid cleared of the Scandal. Or welcome to the ND game which has again been rocked by Academic Scandal. The Brand is tarnished and the President is not open to change. I just have to let it go and wish those present good luck. My buddy has his Law Degree from ND and said it is different now then when he was there. Well I expect it would be. He said it struggles with the identity it wants to deliver and seems caught up in defining a way to do so. Good luck to you and God Bless ND.

4. irishlad19 - Aug 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM

To tucsonfan and others:

Is it possible that the current changes in CFB (Super Conferences, more financial assistance for athletes, a playoff system) will force ND and other academically inclined universities to rethink their commitment to the emerging professionalism of revenue-producing college sports, FB and BB specifically?
    Is an Ivy League-type consortia of such schools possible–but with athletic schlorships, a conference championship game/tournament etc? Think Stanford, Northwestern, ND, Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, and perhaps others whose Trustees decide the professional route undermines the academic mission of a school.
    It would be hard for these schools to give up aspirations to become NC, think how Duke BB fans would react, but the coming changes are going to be very disruptive. It will require Trustees at these elite private universities to ask themselves what is the purpose of FB and BB in their academic institutions?
    I don’t presume to have the future scenario right, but I do believe that there are changes coming that will force ND, my Alma Mater, to rethink the role of FB in its future, as will other schools as well.
    The future NCs will be left to public universities with the size and political backing to spend the money, and the will to ignore the compromising of academic values in the name of revenue-producing sports.
    Not a pretty future for these sports, and the kids who get exploited, but it appears to be coming.

5. irishpuma - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Another article from an unbiased journalist. Same message different source.

6. irishlad19 - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM

The above two are in response to comments Johngalt and dick…, respectively, threw at me directly.