Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared

Aug 18, 2014, 7:28 PM EST

Notre Dame v Stanford Getty Images

The Irish practiced today without four suspended veterans, as an academic investigation continues at Notre Dame about potential Honor Code violations committed by DaVaris Daniels, Kendall Moore, KeiVarae Russell and Ishaq Williams.

And with rumors swirling and little actual info coming out of anyone inside the program, Phillip Daniels was a guest on NBC 5’s Sports Sunday, and spoke candidly about his son’s situation.

As you might expect, the former NFL-star wasn’t happy with the situation, especially with the troubling lack of clarity that’s come with the suspensions.

“I really think as a whole, Notre Dame has handled this really bad man,” Daniels told NBC 5. “I haven’t heard from the university. As a parent, I haven’t heard from the university, I haven’t heard from Coach Kelly.”

That lack of communication drew the ire of more than just Daniels, with a few national pundits taking Kelly and Notre Dame to task. Of course, the flip side of that coin is the thorny issue of student confidentiality, specifically the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA.

This segment is pulled directly from Notre Dame’s university website from the Parent’s FAQ page.

“Parents may want to inquire about their student’s grades or records; however, disclosure of this type of information is governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). FERPA is a federal law that helps protect the privacy of student education records. FERPA provides students the right to: (1) inspect and review their education records; (2) seek to amend those records; and (3) limit disclosure of information from their education records except in certain circumstances. FERPA applies to all institutions that are the recipients of federal aid administered by the Secretary of Education…

“The University will not provide access to nor disclose any personally identifiable information from a student’s education records without a signed and dated written consent of the student.”

The elder Daniels did say he caught up with assistant coach Tony Alford, but that even the coaching staff was shy on details, not surprising considering what we’ve heard from Brian Kelly and Jack Swarbrick.

But Daniels sounded confident that his son would be cleared of wrongdoing, shedding a light on some of the particulars of the incident, really the only inside information that’s come from anyone directly connected to the situation.

“I talked to DeVaris, and I was at ease when I talked to him,” Daniels said. “I know my son, I know he did the right things, he just came off of suspension, and the thing is, if he was getting so much help, I don’t think he would have went through the suspension in the first place.”

For more, check out this snippet, courtesy of NBC Chicago.

1. golfboy66 - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM

On 10/4 I’ll be satisfying a 50 year wish on my bucketlist by attending the ND/Stanford game. A couple months ago I asked for some advice on this board from some of you who were knowledgable about where to sit in the stadium and got a bunch of great advice. I got my ticket (middle of section 31, hope that’s a good spot) and now I’m back to lean on you guys one more time. This will probably be my only game day at ND and obviously I want to take advantage of the entire experience. I’ll be in South Bend on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, leaving early on the 5th. What are some of the”don’t miss” things to see and do during my visit? Any place special to eat, drink, shop for ND stuff? How and where can I see the players walk, attend a pep rally, tailgate etc.? What am I leaving out? Of course I’ll want to tour the University and walk around the town. I just want to make sure I don’t miss anything important. I was accepted by ND and almost went to school there but I decided to go to UCSB cuz of the waves and the girls—made my parents very proud. Hey, I was eighteen and had just graduated from military school, give me a break. Anyway, I know there has been a lot to discuss here lately and I don’t want to get in anybody’s way but if some you experienced fans could pass along a little advice I’d be most appreciative. In the meantime….GO IRISH!!!

• bernhtp - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Congrats. As fnc says below, section 31 is in the student section (endzone corner). Are you sure your ticket is really there because it normally requires a student id along with the ticket to get in? If that’s where you are, I hope you can stand the entire time because that’s what you’ll need to do there. It will be noisy and boisterous.

While you can get ND gear anywhere, I would still go to the Bookstore for biggest selection, etc.

Devote a lot of time to walking the entire campus. Hit the normal spots like the Grotto, Dome, Basilica, etc. Here are a few events/places to consider:

– Friday 4:00p, Trumpets under the dome. Notre Dame trumpet players perform inside the Dome.

– Pep rally Friday evening.

– Band performance at Bond Hall (architecture building) about two hours before game time. The band regroups and marches to the stadium shortly afterwards.

– Sacred Heart Mass 10:00a. Whatever your religion, don’t miss this. It is the height of Catholic performance art. The 10:00 mass is sometimes called ‘smells and bells’ denoting its traditional flavor with symphonic music and choral group. I call the 11:45 mass the “lion king” mass since it uses African rhythms in its music, but is also amazing.

Oh, take a walk around St. Mary’s lake.

Here is the game day schedule for Rice. They will post the same for Stanford closer to the game.

• irishdog80 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM

The Stanford-ND game has become a real rivalry. Being near to the Student Section will add to the experience.

A few other events to add to your list for your visit:

Eat at the South Dining Hall on the South Quad after the game. It’s open to non-students and costs between $16-$19 depending upon whether or not it is a special meal night. It is all you can eat and it is not your normal college dining hall. The food is pretty good and you can choose from nearly a dozen options. The main reason to eat there is to enjoy the classic collegiate settings and see how the ND Student Body acts in its own environment. If the Irish win, it could even get crazy in there.

After watching the band perform at Bond Hall, join the crowd of people lining the sidewalk/road from the Dome. The band will get into formation and march to the stadium playing marching songs and chanting with the Irish Guard at the lead and the cheerleaders close behind, It is an awesome sight for out of town visitors and a great way to get pumped for the game.

Out of town visitors are always amazed by how friendly the Notre Dame crowd is both before and after the game regardless of the outcome and the opponent. Enjoy the experience.

• onward2victory - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:36 AM

How did the waves and girls work out?? I bet surfing Rincon was amazing years ago before it got over crowded. UCSB is still a really good school.

• domerboyirish - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:03 AM

If you are going off campus, make sure to stop by the…oh crap, I forgot that you’ll be in South Bend. Just stay on campus.

Seriously you might want to try Bruno’s for the pizza. Sometimes it is a long wait on a football weekend but its a great place for midwest pizza.

There is also Macri’s Italian Bakery which has fantastic sandwiches! I think they have one downtown although they might still have a location north of the University Park Mall which has a room that is more like a sports bar. Big TV’s and big beers!

For something more upscale try the Tippecanoe. It’s the old Studebaker mansion and even the architecture is worth the trip.

2. fnc111 - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Section 31 is in the middle of the student section bro.

3. golfboy66 - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM

My bad….section 35

4. newmexicoirish - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Golfboy – congratulations on your trip to South Bend for the Stanford game – you’re in for a real treat. I’ve had the pleasure of attending several home games and I can tell you it is one of the most incredible events you will ever be a part of! ND will put out a itenerary for that weekend’s events, pep rally, trumpets in the admin. building, where the band is playing etc. That brochure will have the dates, times, and places for everything that is going on for Stanford weekend.
    Every trip I make to ND includes visits to the Grotto, the chapel, and of course tailgating!
    Again, congrats on yout trip – you are in for the time of your life!

Go Irish – beat the Cardinal!

5. blackirish23 - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Sorry for this late addition which is more of a question than a comment but could be a possible contribution.

I haven’t been back to a game for a while, but do the players and coaches still do the walk from the Basilica to the Stadium on game day mornings?

That would be a nice way to see the team on their way to the locker room, assuming that tradition is still going strong.

Have fun!!

• bernhtp - Aug 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

“The walk” has changed and is now from the Gug to the Stadium. A bit disappointing.

6. blackirish23 - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM

PS – there’s also the midnight drum circle in front of the administration building (the dome). Cool experience if you can stay up that late to join a frenzy of people watching the drummers from the band going crazy.