Riggs ready to lead

Aug 20, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT

Matt Cashore / Irish Illustrated Matt Cashore / Irish Illustrated

Of the players made available to the media yesterday, grad student Cody Riggs wasn’t among them. But the cornerback stopped by UND.com’s Media Day coverage, and after watching his interview with Jack Nolan it’s hard not to be impressed.

Riggs talked about taking over a leadership role in the secondary and also competing for the job as the team’s primary punt returner.

(He also mentioned that he’s heard the good things head coach Brian Kelly has been saying about him to the media, thanks to his mother — who is following along with the press conferences online. Believe me, I know how that goes, and I’m not even on the team.)

Riggs’ offseason addition has turned into one of the most important moves the Irish have made in the Kelly era. While KeiVarae Russell hangs in limbo as an academic investigation takes place, Riggs steps into the No. 1 cornerback spot, a job that’s vital in Brian VanGorder’s scheme.

Just as important is Riggs’ ascension into a leadership role. Even though he’s been on campus since June, Riggs has provided stability to a young but talented position group. He’s also dug in as a student — working for a one-year accelerated masters degree in science and management in the Mendoza College of Business that he expects to finish in May.

In a football program that’s constantly reminded how important institutional fit is, Riggs is the rare transfer to feel custom made for his spot on the Irish, a job that’ll be quite demanding come 10 days from now.

***

1. sfspider - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Does it scare anyone else that Riggs needed so little time to vault to the top of our defense and is neck and neck with Bryant to be our punt returner? I could not be a bigger Irish supporter or bigger believer each August that we can match up against anyone, but every time BK comments on how impressive Riggs is I start to wonder whether the rest of the back-end of our D (especially if KeiVarae is gone for good) can possibly be elite if Riggs was the 3rd best corner at Florida. No doubt I am thrilled we have him, and have been 10 times more thrilled based on the events of the last week, but as much as I want to believe that ND has the speed and talent of other “elite” programs, Riggs rapid ascension to the top makes me worry. That said, GO IRISH.

• irishmob89 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM

It doesn’t scare me. I know where you’re coming from, but Riggs already has big game experience, especially since he played in the SEC so that alone gives him a big advantage over our younger guys. Cole Luke and Devin Butler along with Nick Watkins are going to get that same big game experience this season. No doubt, there will be growing pains with this defense, but they’re going to grow up fast considering the schedule Notre Dame plays.

• dudeacow - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM

It would if not for the fact that he’s a 5th year senior who started 26 games on the SEC’s best pass defense, which happens to be a scheme very similar to Notre Dame’s.

• irishdog80 - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM

The 5th Year Option has become the waiver wire of the NCAA. We have young, developing talent in the secondary that could benefit from an experienced CB like Riggs so it only makes sense to pick him up and install him as the Starter. And there is no shame in being the 3rd CB on a talented squad like Florida. In the NFL, a DB cut by the Seahawks is probably better than half the starters in the NFL…I might be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea. Luke and Watkins will learn a lot from Riggs and could have higher ceilings. We will see.

We would not have this issue if we had not whiffed on Darby and Shepard.

• johngaltisspeaking - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Nothing scares you Mr Big ND Man. Ill play you anywhere anytime with my top dawg 3 star players. Your an Irish Douche Bag

• dmacirish - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM

had me until the Darby and Shepard comments.

imagine if… cleared by FSU in a rape case 2 months ago and just became academically eligible at Ole Miss but then out for the season with tendon issues, respectively. if it had happened at ND imagine the folks lining up for Coaches head right now.

• irishdog80 - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Good point about both Darby and Shepard and their issues and I agree that if they had happened at ND, it would be a bigger problem for Kelly and ND. That said, we still whiffed on a couple of lead dog CBs that we were pursuing. Time could have been better spent elsewhere…20/20 hindsight, I know.

• blackirish23 - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Doesn’t scare me because he’s a graduate student with SEC experience battling with a red shirt freshman at Notre Dame. That gives me confidence that our athletes can compete with anyone.

2. jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Keith: Way to tee it up for Johnny Galt. Can we all agree to call him JohnnyG, in memory of RobertG?

• jerseyshorendfan1 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM

P.S. Hi Mrs. Riggs!

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM

You guys all up on this illuminati sht w John galt. I don’t get it. So he’s a lil gay leave his tip alone.

I hope Cody is ready to lead w his head above his head not below as ND ain’t no SECX.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM

JZshoa, “my mom” is a illuminati code word for “me”. You mean “Hi Cody!!!” Do t fall for his mk ultra!

• 1notredamefan - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Wow! That’s a name not heard from in a long time.. lol

• 1notredamefan - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Too bad he doesn’t write full thesis comments about his opinion.. then we’d be in trouble

3. subalum - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM

It may not be so much athletic ability as it is the system. Riggs played in a similar system at UF so he is ahead of the game. Like he said the only difference is the terminology. The ND players on the other hand are starting from square one, this is also why so many freshman are getting the chance to start, they are on a level playing field with the upper class players.

4. upthera44 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Classy kid

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Good looking kid looks like Pharrell. I hope he doesn’t get mk ultra’d into joining the illuminati.

5. domer77blowsgoats - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM

huge pickup in this young man indeed

greatly looking forward to the thread jacking TR vs. Crist vs. Kelly debate for the 932nd time in the last 3+ years….

6. sjb198 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Would you be so kind as to explain the origin of your screen name? domer77blowsgoats

I ask because I am curious.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

He graduated from ND in 1977.(in his head). He throughly giving BJ’s to Goats in his spare time(real life).

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

BTW, I’m domer77blowsgoats. Dick Asman is my 4th screen name

• domer77blowsgoats - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

sure – goes back about 4 years…

there was a gent, will call him the nudeman of the time when this blog first started, that went by the name of domer77 – his comments couldn’t have been more sanctimonious and obnoxious. Was a troll before the term “troll” was common.

Made some weak Wayne’s World analogy once so it was more of a mocking reference to him in my screen name

• nudeman - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Goat I really don’t know why you come here, sir.
        You rarely talk football. Like maybe 1 out of 15 of your posts will have a “football observation”; quotes because it’s usually along the lines of “we’re really gonna’ be great this year” or “great article Keith” (sniff sniff)

The other 93% of your stuff is commenting on my stuff. I don’t get the strange attraction you seem to have for me. Would you like me to send you an autographed pic? My bicycle seat? I know who you are but don’t know you personally. I’m guessing there must be some void in your life, or perhaps you weren’t hugged as a kid. Or as an adult?

Let me know if I can help. In any way. Anything buddy. And say hi to UAW.

• dickasman - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Because I loooove youuuuu, I’ll always be by your side, to be a like to be your guuuuuuy. Because I looooove youuuuuuu….

• domer77blowsgoats - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Good afternoon nude – good to hear from ya!!

I’m 99% sure i’ll make it by without any signed nude paraphernalia or any other help – but will let u know if i need that 1% – offer much appreciated

look at that, my calculator worked above too, must have been a real biotch to figure out what percentage 1/15 equated to!! That there is some serious ND caliber math 100%-(1/15)=93%!! kudos sir!!

• jommy995 - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Goat, Nude, JG, and Dick are the only screen personalities I recognize on here. No one else is really that memorable, except Keith on the rare occasions when he posts a zinger. Not that I’m memorable either. But if anyone wants an autographed pen . . . .

7. irishlad19 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I’m not (curious), would rather leave it alone.

8. irishwilliamsport - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Riggs is a very good player and was stuck behind Hargreaves III and I forget the other guys name, and Riggs is a senior he should be ahead of sophomores and is. The secondary will still be stout without Russell but obviously better with him.

9. fnc111 - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Yea, I’m reallllly scared that a freak athlete that started 26 games for Florida is starting at ND now. Some people need to stop drinking during the day time.

• dwp1991 - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Upvoted, but day drinking rules. Though probably not on a wednesday…

10. johngaltisspeaking - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM

What have I been trying to tell you guys. The SEC offers top notch education. Cody Riggs is one of the best players on the team and he has an SEC Degree. I am so tired of you ND fans blowing smoke up the SEC for top dawg education.

• 1notredamefan - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM

The fact that you don’t understand.. makes us all understand you! GO IRISH!!!

• 1historian - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Could you support your statement with the graduation rates for the football players from Alabama, Auburn and LSU?

Thank you.

11. hui73 - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:28 PM

What do you do with a Chinese takeaway? Eat Rice!

12. nudeman - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Bob Diaco announcing his starting QB.
    Unbelievable. Ridiculous. Guy is a nut.
    Get to the fu**ing point, dude

• sjb198 - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Thanks for the link nudeman. Exactly what I was talking about in my comment in the last article. Diaco is definitely out in left field most of the time. I think that is why Brian Kelly kept him away from the camera.

• 1notredamefan - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Lol, not always smartest to be smart and than act smart…

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Holy Sheet Bob, this is painful to watch….it’s different from Charlie Weis, but I always rolled my eyes at Charlie’s 30 minute run down of the opponents starting offense and defense.

Why would you even DO THIS? I can just hear him giving his wife a 10 minute synopsis about the emotion state of his erection as he prepared to consummate their marriage.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

• irishdog80 - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

That was truly brutal to watch…I stopped after around 4 minutes. I am glad Diaco is no longer the Defensive Coordinator. If he talked to his players like that all the time, they would have to suffer from paralysis by analysis. Van Gorder has to be a true breath of fresh air and the defense will look a lot faster since they won’t have to think as much or worry about having to listen to Diaco after the game.

13. domerboyirish - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM

I’m not sure if anyone else saw this but I found this on line and thought it should get passed on to the group.

August 18, 2014

Yucaipa, CA – (AP) Today reports out of California confirm the location of John Galtis, a former missing person from the County of San Bernardino area. Galtis, last seen in the Yucaipa area several years ago, he has been found alive and living in a small maintenance room in Chicago located under the Cortland Street Bridge.

“Apparently Mr. Galtis was able to access the space below the bridge through two sewer tunnels and by squeezing between bridge supports like a common rat.” said CDOT Commissioner Rebekah Scheinfeld. “You’d be amazed what we found down there.”

According to persons at the scene, the maintenance room had been revised to accommodate the inhabitant for long term living. Existing electrical service has been tampered with to provide hook ups to a small refrigerator, a hot plate and other electrical devices. A small lap top computer was also found at the scene.

“Clearly Mr. Galtis has been living here for some time” added Ms. Scheinfeld. “I’ve never seen such squallier in all my years serving Chicago. This was clearly a person without a marble left in his head. By definition, you could say he was living like a troll!” she chuckled.

Despite his ragged appearance, authorities quickly identified Mr. Galtis using fingerprints found at the scene. They immediately notified California authorities that Mr. Galtis was found safely.

“My boy is alive!” exclaimed John’s mother Natasha Jones. “I can’t wait to put my arms around him and give him a big bear hug!” Ms. Jones, dressed in a 4X oversized Packers sweatshirt, was overwhelmed with emotion. Despite her apparent difficulty at holding back tears, Mrs. Jones, who is currently on her third marriage since John’s disappearance, stressed that John will need to sleep in the garage until one of her step children moves out and make room in the house.

Not all Yucaipa residents were as delighted as his mother. “John’s coming back?! I really thought he was out of our lives for good!” stated an ex high school classmate that chose to remain anonymous. “Due to an unresolved legal case I’m not allowed to say anything else at this time.”

In 2002 it turns out that Mr. Galtis has been kicked out of Yucaipa High School two months prior to graduation shortly after receiving notice that his application to the University of Notre Dame was rejected. “He was crushed” said then principal Henry Meissner. “That’s probably what started the strange set of events that lead to his disappearance.”

According to local reports and official school records, Mr. Galtis had been be expelled two days after receiving his rejection letter from Notre Dame when he was caught molesting a volley ball after gym class. Two weeks later Mr. Gatlis went missing and the high school purchased new volleyballs.

• papadec - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Now that’s funny stuff!

14. fnc111 - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Outside of Vandy, the sec offers garbage degrees.

15. fnc111 - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

dwp,

Haha, day drinking much approved the next few Saturdays!

Go Irish!

16. johngaltisspeaking - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Look what happens when you add a few SEC players to ND. We have a top Defense and we get super lucky and play in the NC. Cody Riggs will be one of a few players who will get it done. Now think about all the SEC players that play for a team like LSU and Florida. Playing in the SEC is a big deal don’t ever let anyone tell you different. The SEC is legit !

• idratherbeinsouthbend - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Had chili and cornbread for lunch today….two hours later I pinched off a loaf that was smarter than you….probably better looking too

17. fnc111 - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM

johngall takes it in the bum daily.

18. mayesdays - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Almost all college football websites I have seen outside of Notre Dame ones have talked about how Notre Dame will struggle due to the four player suspension and what not. Defensively losing Russell is not good by any means but as for the other two they have a combined 34 tackles in 2013. Combined 34! Daniels obviously has the potential to be great and has shown it but we have a lot of depth there. No one has mentioned anything about all the adversity this team faced last year with losing players to suspension and injuries. This is nothing new to this team, and the young guys should thrive off it.

• johngaltisspeaking - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Nothing new and nothing changing with the win – loss record. This is caled rinse and repeat. Next man in is a bad analogy. Basically it means playing nobody’s over somebody’s. SEC doesn’t have this problem. They are competitive on the field and off without rape charges, kids falling from ladders, DUI’s and cheating scandals. Notre Dame is a perfect study for what to not do in Business. You are either growing on a daily business or you’re going out of business. ND has not changed and refuses to look at the landscape of College Football. I predict another mediocre year with fans stating ” Well at least they choose the 40 year decision ” BS this is not the Notre Dame I once knew, this is nothing more than another Princeton with uppity Alums trying to protect their vice day in day out with bad facts and the Academic Card. Come on people its not like ND is Stanford..

• tucsonfan - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

i would not classify last year as thriving, with Golson out, and we won’t thrive this year with 3 starters gone.

We may have a decent season, but, like last year, we will lose games we wouldn’t have if we had all our guys.

The delay in deciding the fate of these guys is ridiculous, and unfair to the players, the team, and the coaches, not to mention us fans. Whether they are in or out, someone needs to make a decision quickly. This isn’t Murder on the Orient Express for crying out loud.

19. fnc111 - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Exactly. This team can use this as a rallying cry. Us against the world. I hope they’re not too young to understand that.

• johngaltisspeaking - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Ohio state 1 Loss vs notre Dame 2 loss team who goes to playoffs. 99 percent say Ohio state. Strength of schedule is BS. More room for sec teams I guess.

• irishdog80 - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM

It will be funny if Navy beats Ohio State.

Go Navy! Beat Buckeyes!

• johngaltisspeaking - Aug 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Sorry only ND has to go into overtime to beat such a team. Ohio State will beat them by 40 points

• irishdog80 - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I will accept that point spread and take Navy. Do you even know what happened in the Navy-Ohio State game back in 2009?

Also, I am also taking ND -7 over Rice per your earlier comment.

20. johngaltisspeaking - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM

New John Galt rule. No more sec news on ESPN. They have their own network. The winning network

21. mayesdays - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM

The D shouldn’t have any problem with team speed. I remember seeing Onwaulu running by Dbs last year as a WR.

. We will see what kind of DC Brian Vangorder is that is for sure. It will be a fun year nonetheless.

22. irishpuma - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I don’t see anyone saying signing Riggs is a bad idea now! Lol this board can be such a joke at times. I was excited when it was rumored and there were people on here saying its a bad idea, underclass man need to grow, we don’t need him. Good thing he came, seems like a class act and smart guy! Hope he has a big year and catches on at the next level!

#2 Fan

• tucsonfan - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I remember that fuss, Puma, and was scratching my head at the time. What’s not to like about this guy anyway, I wondered. Glad he’s here. Would happily take more like him in similar circumstances.

• irishpuma - Sep 7, 2014 at 2:37 AM

AMen Tuscon!! The team is looking awesome so far!!

23. johngaltisspeaking - Aug 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

The Title should say “SEC Player recruited to teach Irish team not to cheat and how to play football ”
    SubTitle – Brian K is meeting with Cody Riggs to learn about how the SEC Coaches Football.