Aug 28, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
It appears that Notre Dame’s internal investigation surrounding academic dishonesty charges is nearing a close. But before it gets there, one additional player will be held out of practice and from competition this Saturday.
A statement released by the university did not provide a name, but said the following:
As Notre Dame’s internal investigation relating to potential NCAA violations reaches its conclusion, a decision has been made to hold a fifth football player out from practice and competition. As with all cases of suspected academic dishonesty, the matter will now be subject to the University’s honor code process.
It likely won’t be long until the fifth player is identified, but Notre Dame did not disclose the name in their statement.
Earlier today, Brian Kelly was on the Dan Patrick Show, where he discussed a relatively quick conclusion of the investigation. Today’s statement confirms that timeline.
UPDATE: Headline amended to reflect WNDU’s Angelo DiCarlo’s report that senior safety Eilar Hardy is the fifth player. Notre Dame officials confirm the name.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12