Aug 28, 2014, 5:46 PM EST
It appears that Notre Dame’s internal investigation surrounding academic dishonesty charges is nearing a close. But before it gets there, one additional player will be held out of practice and from competition this Saturday.
A statement released by the university did not provide a name, but said the following:
As Notre Dame’s internal investigation relating to potential NCAA violations reaches its conclusion, a decision has been made to hold a fifth football player out from practice and competition. As with all cases of suspected academic dishonesty, the matter will now be subject to the University’s honor code process.
It likely won’t be long until the fifth player is identified, but Notre Dame did not disclose the name in their statement.
Earlier today, Brian Kelly was on the Dan Patrick Show, where he discussed a relatively quick conclusion of the investigation. Today’s statement confirms that timeline.
UPDATE: Headline amended to reflect WNDU’s Angelo DiCarlo’s report that senior safety Eilar Hardy is the fifth player. Notre Dame officials confirm the name.
- And in that corner… The USC Trojans 40
- Secondary depth chart reaches red-line status 14
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Louisville 96
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 246
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94