Notre Dame will open camp without OC Mike Denbrock

12 Comments

When Notre Dame opens fall camp on Monday, they will do so without offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock.

Head coach Brian Kelly released a statement on Sunday announcing that a medical procedure will keep Denbrock away from the team for a few weeks, forcing the Irish to start their work at Culver Academy without the head of the offense.

“Coach Denbrock had a recent surgical procedure that will force him to miss the first few weeks of preseason camp,” Kelly said in the statement. “Mike is doing extremely well and everyone associated with the program looks forward to his return.”

Kelly will fill in and coordinate the offense in Denbrock’s absence, a fairly logical transition for a head coach who will call the offensive plays on Saturdays for the Irish.

Denbrock is in his first year as offensive coordinator after serving in a variety of capacities the past four seasons. He returned to Notre Dame to reunite with Kelly, who he served as both an offensive and defensive coordinator for at Grand Valley State.

It doesn’t sound like the layoff will be significant, and Denbrock should be able to join the Irish before the open of the season.

“I had surgery last week,” Denbrock said in the same statement. “I’m resting and feeling better every day, but I won’t be able to join the team for the beginning of preseason camp. Safe to say, I’m already chomping at the bit to get back with the guys.”